[Sayma-Discuss] Sabeel workshop and plenary speakers

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Wed Nov 2 10:53:19 PDT 2011

Dear Friends,

Here is a full list of workshops being offered at the “Power of Non-Violence in the US and Palestine-Israel” conference.

Regards,

-- Free

>From Birmingham to Bethlehem:  The Power of Non-Violence in the US and Palestine-Israel

A Conference sponsored by Friends of Sabeel North America

www.fosna.org

Trinity Presbyterian Church

Nov 10-12, 2011

Thursday – November 10th

5:00                 Registration

5:30                 Dinner (available for purchase with reservation at Trinity Presbyterian)

7:00                 Opening  Plenary: Non Violence— Past and Present

Non Violent Resistance in the U.S. Civil Rights movement and in Israel-Palestine today

Manal Tamimi, Palestinian Activist from the village of Nabi Saleh

                        Dr. Bernard Lafayette, Candler School of Theology at Emory University

                        Oded Na’aman, Breaking the Silence

Friday – November 11th

9:00                 City Excursions

A.      Carter Center

B.      Martin Luther King, Jr Center

*We will arrange transportation, participant responsible for entrance fees.

12:00               Registration

12:30-1:30       Lunch

1:30-2:30         Plenary Conversation:   Non-violence and Resistance to Injustice within a Global Context

                        Dr. Maia Hallward, Kennesaw State University

Dr. Jesse Benjamin, Kennesaw State University

2:45-4:00         Workshop One

A.     Palestine and Israel 101

Ilise Cohen, Interfaith Peace Builders, Fellowship of Reconciliation

B.      Clergy and Church Leaders: What do you need to know?

Kate Taber and John Morgan, PC(USA)

C.      Non-violence in Palestine

Dr. Maia Hallward, Kennesaw State University

4:15-5:30         Workshop Two

A.     US Civil Rights 101

Dr. Luther Smith, Candler School of Theology, Emory University

B.      The Palestinian Movement in a Post-colonial Context

Dr. Jesse Benjamin, Kennesaw State University

C.      What are you doing on your campus—what are your challenges?

LauraBeth Jones, convener

All people working or interested in working on college campuses or schools are invited to

gather to share ideas and network at this time.

5:30-6:00         Free time before dinner (Resource Room open)

6:00-7:00         Dinner

7:00-8:30         Plenary:  On the Ground in Israel and Palestine

Anna Baltzer, National Organizer, U.S. Campaign to End the Occupation

8:30                 Film Screening:  Budrus

Saturday – November 12th

8:00                 Registration

8:30                 Continental breakfast

9:00-10:00       Plenary:  Kairos Call to Action

Dr. Mark Braverman, Author of Fatal Embrace: Christians, Jews, and the Search for Peace in the Holy Land

10:15-11:30     Workshop Three

A.     Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions:  Diverse Responses

Noushin Framke, Israel-Palestine Mission Network

Ilise Cohen, Jewish Voice for Peace

Susanne Hoder, UMC

B.      Current Issues on Race and Resistance

Adolina Nichols, Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights

Kathryn Hamoudah, Georgians Against the Death Penalty

Jessica Vazquez-Torrez, Candler School of Theology, Emory University

C.      Hamas, Fateh and the UN: Palestinian Leadership and Strategy in the Apartheid Era

Nathan Stock, The Carter Center

11:45-12:45     Lunch

12:45-1:45       Plenary:  The US Delegation of Women of Color to Palestine – A Report

                        Dr. Beverly Guy-Sheftall, Spelman College

2:00-3:15         Workshop 4

A.     Things You Can Do Right Now (speaker suggestions)

Sarah McDonald, Christian Peacemaker Teams

Sarah Phillips, Brookhaven UMC (is this confirmed?)

George Naggiar, AAPER

Representative from MEIA-GA

Ilise Cohen, Jewish Voice for Peace

La Trina Jackson, FOR

Joe Groves, Interfaith Peacebuilders

B.      Conversations on Law

Gerard Horton, Defense of Children International Palestine

Salwa Duaybis, Women’s Center for Legal Aid

C.      Religious Perspectives: Thinking Theologically about Palestine and Israel

Dr. Mark Braverman

Rev. Naim Ateek, Sabeel

** Beverly Wallace of ITC? not yet confirmed

3:30-4:00         Closing Plenary:  Birmingham, Bethlehem, Atlanta, the World – Going Forth to Work for Peace with Justice

                        Rev. Naim Ateek, Sabeel

Speakers

Plenaries: (Have bios for all these)

         Rev. Naim Ateek, Sabeel

·         Dr. Beverly Guy-Sheftall, Founding director of the Women’s Resource and Research Center and the Anna Julia Cooper Professor of Women’s Studies, Spellman College

         Dr. Maia Hallward (Assistant Professor of Political Science), Kennesaw State University

         Dr. Jesse Benjamin (Associate Professor of Sociology), Kennesaw State University

         Anna Baltzer, National Organizer, U.S. Campaign to end the Occupation

         Manal Tamimi- Palestinian Activist from the village of Nabi Saleh

·         Dr. Bernard Lafayette: Original Freedom Rider and Distinguished Senior Scholar in Residence, Candler School of Theology—Emory University

·         Dr. Mark Braverman—Author of Fatal Embrace: Christians, Jews, and the search for peace in the Holy Land. Noted peace activist

Workshops: (NOT ALL WORKSHOP SPEAKERS ARE CONFIRMED)

         Ilise Cohen, Interfaith Peace Builders, Fellowship of Reconciliation (have bio)

         Sarah Webb Phillips, Brookhaven UMC

         Kate Tabor, PC(USA)

         Nathan Stock, The Carter Center

·         Salwa Duyabis, Director of Women’s Center for Legal Aid and Counseling (have bio)

         Gerard Horton, attorney from Defense of Children International Palestine (have bio)

         Dr. Luther Smith, Candler School of Theology, Emory University

         Noushin Framke, Israel-Palestine Mission Network (have bio)

         Susanne Hoder, UMC

         Representative from Jewish Voice for Peace (Ilise Cohen?)

         Representative from Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights (GLAHR)

         Representative from GDAP

         Representative from Dreamer

         Jessica Vazquez-Torres, Candler School of Theology, Emory University

         Sara McDonald, Christian Peacemaker Teams

         George Naggiar, founder of the American Association of Palestinian Equal Rights (AAPER)

         Representative from Movement to End Israeli Apartheid (MEIA-GA)

         Representative from Fellowship of Reconciliation (FOR)

         Tim McDonald, First Iconium Baptist Church, Atlanta, GA

         Plemon Al-Amin, from??

·         Mr. Oded Na’aman, Breaking the Silence (have bio)

         LaTrina Jackson, Atlanta Fellowship of Reconciliation (have bio)