[Sayma-Discuss] New Post from ecospirit

Roy H Taylor III wrldpeas at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 21 12:13:25 EDT 2012

Dear Susan,

While Bob may have answers to your questions I would like to let you know about people that are already working on this. A good short introduction to the issues can be found in this TED Talk by Rob Hopkins: http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/rob_hopkins_transition_to_a_world_without_oil.html

Rob is the author of The Transition Handbook - From oil dependency to local resilience. The Transition Town movement is slowly taking place around the world as people resinate with the message. It is not about a stark post apocalyptic life. It is about communities coming together to answering how they can reduce the amount of energy that they use while increasing the benefits that  come from being less dependent. One more time it is about the local situation and where you find yourself.  What may work here in Canton, GA may not be the same solution for your community in Charleston, WV.

What if your community was self sufficient? What would it look like? What if you actually knew your neighbors and depended on them? How much of your own food could your area produce on small farms with sustainable methods? How would you benefit from knowing the farmer that grew your food and you could talk to them? What are the industries that would be needed locally to provide the goods and services that your community needs? What resources are available in your region to provide the materials for these industries?

It is still a carbon tax because it is being levied before it is an emission. The focus on carbon is key to McKibben's doom diatribe. But we have other greenhouse gases that are doing us in at the same time and they need to be addressed simultaneously. Methane is a large component particularly in animal for food production but I stray here.

We can have a better world that what we currently have without the use of fossil or nuclear fuels. We, the folks of the Religious Society of Friends, have much to offer. We have great decision making process to share. We strive to live our testimonies and if we did a better job at that we would be very close to where we need to be.

Roy Taylor
SAYMA Rep to Quaker Earthcare Witness