[Sayma-Discuss] A world at peace and AFSC part in that work . . . and a place for you, too

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Wed Dec 5 12:33:20 EST 2012

Dear Friends,

Below is Shan Cretin’s end of year message on behalf of the American Friends Service Committee (AFSC).  Many of you met her at our Yearly Meeting this past June at Warren Wilson College.

I am thankful that AFSC continues to carry Friends’ message of “that of G-D in everyone” that is helping to bring Peace with Justice to all parts of the world.

I am also thankful for the support that SAYMA Friends have provided to the work of AFSC, both financially and more importantly as volunteers, to assist AFSC

In their very important and lonely work of helping to show us what it takes to being the “peaceable kindom” into people’s lives.

Please take a few minutes to see the tip of the iceberg of AFSC’s work by visiting the website www.AFSC.org,   and especially the “You can help” section.

Free Polazzo

SAYMA AFSC Represnetative to the AFSC Corporation

“No one can be free unless everyone can be free”

 American Friends Service Committee <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50601/images/14571/AFSC-logo-trans.png>

Free,

A world at peace. What a powerful possibility to consider! A world with no bombs falling on children in Gaza or Afghanistan. With the thousands of soldiers killed in pointless wars instead at home celebrating this season with their families. With a trillion dollars to spend on infrastructure and human needs at home.

Of course, real peace requires much more than ending war.

That’s why the American Friends Service Committee addresses the seeds of violence within communities, removing the barriers to peace. We understand that nurturing the capacity for peace on a personal level is one essential step along the way to building peace in neighborhoods, cities, nations, and the world.

This year, we’ve seen our work for peace at every level make a real difference in people’s lives.

The state of Maine established an AFSC-supported truth and reconciliation process <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kF63bhIj3JRYVgpppEOzikYc6pYA1fcT> —the first in the United States to focus on child welfare issues—encouraging healing and disclosing the truth about the removal of Native American children from their homes and tribes as part of a policy of forced assimilation.

Last month, the United States renewed its relationship with Myanmar (Burma) after decades of sanctions. For the past seven years, AFSC has been quietly working there in support and recognition of the tremendous forces for change <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=csFJZfjJzg9wBKTH%2FG7UjUYc6pYA1fcT>  bubbling through the country’s civil society.

I invite you to join me on Thursday, Dec. 20, for a look at highlights like these and to hear what 2013 will hold as AFSC continues paving the path of peace. I will host our monthly program update call at 6 p.m. EST. You can register online today <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VARevHnF6KPtLJ9U5R3wTUYc6pYA1fcT> .

In the meantime, please enjoy a slideshow of photos from AFSC’s work this year <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0pGQK23vzwtafbKporM%2BdEYc6pYA1fcT>  to see what it looks like to build a world at peace in some of the communities where we work.

In peace,

 SIGNATURE IMAGE <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50601/images/shan-email-signature.gif>

Shan Cretin
General Secretary