[Sayma-Discuss] witness

Thais Carr thaiscarr at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 30 19:52:08 JEST 2012

Elizabeth spoke my mind ; she articulated it much better than I could!  I have been pondering the topic:

Is it witnessing if what you do is fairly mainstream?  (like  going to church on Ash Wednesday)
Or recycling and composting in an area when many others do, too?  I began composting as soon as I was out of college & most people had barely heard of it.  Is it no longer a witness now that it's so mainstream that "big box" stores sell compost bins?

Is it witnessing to just continue to do the right thing, even if no one notices?  Perhaps 20 year ago, when I was self-employed, a colleague shared that she wrote "thank you" on every check she received from a client.  I liked the idea & immediately adopted the practice.  I don't know if any of my clients ever noticed, (this was in the days when you got your original cancelled check back) but it did make me remember to be grateful every time I deposited a check.  I continue the practice to this day with every check I receive for any reason, but I imagine few human eyes see the extra line I write on the back by hand.

Earlier this week I listened to a Freakonomics podcast that addressed some interesting aspects of this topic.  I was a little surprised that the Prius far outsells other hybrids primarily because it looks so distinctive, unlike the Honda Civic hybrid, for example, which looks just like nonhybrid Civics.  And I was surprised that people would actually put their solar panels on the less-sunny side of the house just so others would see them.  (It's the "Show and Yell" podcast, dated March 15.  I did like the phrase "conspicuous conservation.")

Much food for thought.

Thais Carr