[Sayma-Discuss] witness

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at comcast.net
Fri Mar 30 21:38:53 JEST 2012

Conspicuous consumption is something I learned about in my marketing classes
in 1963.   What is so surprising about it also applying to the green
movement?   Aren't we "marketing/selling" a way of living?     Just like the
power companies and SUV salespeople are marketing/selling theirs?

Perhaps becoming "mainstream" just shows that being "Green" is now OK and
not "weird".   Be happy about that.  Most people don't want to look "weird"
in front of their friends and neighbors and especially co workers.    Maybe
we Quakers have to learn about how to celebrate victories before they move
the goal posts on everyone?   Let's expand on the Toyota Prius example:

Just like many other early Prius owners (2004) I used to get asked a lot
about whether "IT" really works.  "Where does the plug go in" was a question
I got a lot.   So, my "conspicuous" Prius gave me a chance to do some
education about not just higher gas mileage but about the high clean air
rating was the main reason I purchased it.   I, in turn, was introduced to
the Prius by a Friend from Alabama (Thanks, Daryl) who kindly let me drive
it home from an AFSC SERO meeting.   Nobody had told me how QUIET the car
was and so we can see that Experiential learning is the best way for change
to happen, is it not?   Of course that is slower than many of us would like,
but it is a core belief of our faith.     Sadly, nobody asks me about the
Prius anymore. L   It seems that so many are seen on the road and so many
models scored so high in customer satisfaction in Consumer Reports for year
after year that it "caught on".   (copy cat syndrome).   Now, I feel sorry
for the person driving a Chevy Corvette.   The driver thinks it's a status
symbol but I don't think it gets so many admiring looks like it used to.
I'm sure it's going the way of the dinosaur, especially as prices go up.  Of
course it might evolve into an Electric Corvette, but the owners would have
to give up on the loud rumble that the large engine generates.

As for "Witnessing", perhaps the last definition applies the Religious
Society of Friends;  (From the Free Dictionary by Farlix)

"2. To testify to one's religious beliefs."

"Testify" then needs to be defined; (see below) I like the one that says:

3. To make a statement based on personal knowledge in support of an asserted
fact; bear witness

So we can say, by substitution,  that Witnessing might be:

2. To testify make a statement based on personal knowledge in support of an
asserted fact; bear witness  to one's religious beliefs."

I see Quakerism as an "experiential" religion.   Of course sometimes it is
difficult, if not impossible to make a statement about some of the personal
knowledge we've experienced when we are mystics.     Words don't always
exist to explain what one experiences.

dragon

>From the Free Dictionary by Farlix   :

 wit.ness
(whttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifthttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifnh
ttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifs)

n.

1.

a. One who can give a firsthand account of something seen, heard, or
experienced: a witness to the accident.

b. One who furnishes evidence.

2. Something that serves as evidence; a sign.

3. Law

a. One who is called on to testify before a court.

b. One who is called on to be present at a transaction in order to attest to
what takes place.

c. One who signs one's name to a document for the purpose of attesting to
its authenticity.

4. An attestation to a fact, statement, or event; testimony.

5.

a. One who publicly affirms religious faith.

b. Witness A member of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

v. wit.nessed, wit.ness.ing, wit.ness.es

v.tr.

1.

a. To be present at or have personal knowledge of.

b. To take note of; observe.

2. To provide or serve as evidence of. See Synonyms at indicate
<http://www.thefreedictionary.com/indicate> .

3. To testify to; bear witness.

4. To be the setting or site of: This old auditorium has witnessed many
ceremonies.

5. To attest to the legality or authenticity of by signing one's name to.

v.intr.

1. To furnish or serve as evidence; testify.

2. To testify to one's religious beliefs.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/witnessing

  _____

tes.ti.fy
(thttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ebreve.gifshttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifth
ttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/schwa.gif-fhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gifhttp:
//img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif)

v. test.i.fied, test.i.fy.ing, test.i.fies

v.intr.

1. To make a declaration of truth or fact under oath; submit testimony:
witnesses testifying before a grand jury.

2. To express or declare a strong belief, especially to make a declaration
of faith.

3. To make a statement based on personal knowledge in support of an asserted
fact; bear witness: the exhilaration of weightlessness, to which many
astronauts have testified.

4. To serve as evidence: wreckage that testifies to the ferocity of the
storm.

v.tr.

1. To declare publicly; make known: testifying their faith.

2. To state or affirm under oath: testified in court that he saw the
defendant.

3. To bear witness to; provide evidence for. See Synonyms at indicate
<http://www.thefreedictionary.com/indicate> .

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Testify

  _____

-- Free

Process Evangelist

After listening comes reflection . . .  then possibly action.