[Sayma-Discuss] Sayma-Discuss Digest, Vol 79, Issue 5

David Myers davesmyers at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 22:39:02 EDT 2013


In lead up to FWCC in Africa I participated in one of their salt and light email circles. It was not an enlightening experience, partly because I did not go to the conference and because the lead up conversation was dominated by individuals that did not offer much I was interested in. After the conference, someone posted a lengthy screed excoriating liberals for not rallying more for the climate cause. I posted a reply, considerably edited below, but containing the same basic thoughts and a few additional ideas. Unfortunately due to the ephemeral nature of the salt and light email circles there was no response of any kind.

My upshot is multiple-fold. 1) Biblical climate deniers don't even have Old Testament-ism down, in reference to your point on that topic, and 2) there are, actually, good reasons for being semi-cautious about conclusions from climate science- even as the balance of evidence points to anthropogenic warming. I say this as someone who advanced to PhD candidacy in atmospheric science.


My theology is essentially a covenant community theology- that, and a good helping of continuing revelation. I can't help but think of Isaiah 24 which cautions against stepping out the covenant when it comes to the environment. But it is easy to understand why individuals, political or not, might take a fatalistic view not moved to action because of a misreading of the OT. Sometimes Gen 8 is provided as evidence that God is utterly forgiving in our treatment of the environment and that we little creatures cannot possibly make a difference in the balance of the planet. This takes the passage out of context, as Sen. Inhofe of Okla. has done many times. I find it telling that the covenant with Noah comes immediately after in Gen 9. From that point onward we are clearly intended as stewards, even if some want to view humans as top beasts, as referenced in your blog post. 

So let us draw a fine line between those wanting to let more data come in because they are erronously validated by a misreading of OT and those that want to have more science (continuing revelation) to inform policy makers. If you have recently heard Judith Curry of GaTech's interview on NPR, she and I hold extremely similar scientific views on the score of human attribution toward climate and on policy. If you haven't heard it, and you would like a non political non polarized real scientist's well informed opinion, it is an interview worth checking out.

Particularly important are her statements about the first world telling the third world how much carbon to burn. This is where I feel Kabarak has a deep flaw, one worth thinking hard about.

David Myers


On Aug 27, 2013, at 11:00 AM, sayma-discuss-request at kitenet.net wrote:

> Send Sayma-Discuss mailing list submissions to
> sayma-discuss at kitenet.net
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://kitenet.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sayma-discuss
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> sayma-discuss-request at kitenet.net
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> sayma-discuss-owner at kitenet.net
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Sayma-Discuss digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
> 1. new ecospirit blogpost (Bob McGahey)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 12:19:35 -0400
> From: Bob McGahey <rmcgahey at main.nc.us>
> To: SAYMA Discussion List <sayma-discuss at kitenet.net>
> Subject: [Sayma-Discuss] new ecospirit blogpost
> Message-ID: <521B8017.3050903 at main.nc.us>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
> 
> I posted on Climate Denialism today.  comments, there and here, are 
> welcome.
> http://ecospirit.blogspot.com/2013/08/climate-denialism.html
> 
> Bob Mcgahey
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Subject: Digest Footer
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Sayma-Discuss mailing list
> Sayma-Discuss at kitenet.net
> http://kitenet.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/sayma-discuss
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> End of Sayma-Discuss Digest, Vol 79, Issue 5
> ********************************************


More information about the Sayma-Discuss mailing list