[Sayma-Discuss] FW: Reflections from Saturday's march

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at att.net
Wed Aug 28 18:53:52 EDT 2013

Dear Friends,

On this anniversary of the march on Washington in 1963, led by Dr. King,  this letter from Aura Kanegis, and AFSC staff person, is worth sharing with your friends, too.

Blessings,

Free Polazzo

SAYMA Representative to the AFSC Corporation

  <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50601/images/AFSC_one_mil_Banner_wlogo2.jpg>

Free ,

 Aura Kanegis <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50601/images/Email_Pictures/MOW%202013/Aura%20son%2050%20MOW.jpg>

The American Friends Service Committee was represented at Saturday’s March on Washington. This photo, of me and my daughter, shows a small part of our contingent.

In 1956 AFSC began working with Martin Luther King, Jr. to help promote peace and justice. We sponsored and funded his trip to India in 1959 and were the first to publish his “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” in 1963. Key 1963 march organizer Bayard Rustin received early activist training from AFSC. Marching for AFSC this week made me both proud and more resolved than ever to ensure that our work today is as brave and transformative as it was in supporting that resounding call for justice 50 years ago.

Today, of course, “the dream” is not yet fully realized. Much work remains for our generation to ensure a just and peaceful world for future ones. Marching with my children along the same path where my parents and grandfather marched 50 years ago reminded me how far we have yet to go. That’s why I am so grateful for your partnership in AFSC’s efforts to create lasting peace and justice.

Half a century has passed since Dr. King reminded us:

“Wars are poor chisels for carving out peaceful tomorrows.”

True then. True now. It takes committed, caring people like you to carve out peaceful tomorrows. We’ll be with you every step of the march toward that brighter future.

With gratitude,

  <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50601/images/Signatures/aurasig.bmp.jpg>
R. Aura Kanegis
Director, Office of Public Policy and Advocacy

P.S. Read and listen to audio of  <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=stqJ7QH7HvrzTiQOhy5mBdJ7LJzWDRY0> Realizing the Dream: A Conversation with Vincent Harding, a close friend of Dr. King's, as he talks with AFSC's Lucy Duncan and Madeline Schaefer.

  _____

  <http://salsa3.salsalabs.com/dia/TrackImage?key=2108695082>