[Sayma-Discuss] NY Times letter on guns

Mike Shell bright_crow at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 18 13:33:53 EST 2013

Thanks, Friend Charles.

I agree with you about the necessity of regulating types of guns.  However, my observation is that--as with many controversial issues--Americans and their governmental representatives are masters at avoiding core moral and legal issue of human accountability by displacing the argument onto secondary issues such as of what kinds of guns should be allowed and who should be allowed to own them.

Our nation has a powerful knack for misdefining and mislabeling the "sides" of the argument.  Look at abortion, for example.  The core moral issues are (1) the responsibility of both potential mothers and fathers NOT to cause conception if they do not intend or are not able to bear and raise a child, and (2) society's responsibility to care for every child who is born, as well helpinhg those parents who have conceived a child they are challenged to care for.  Instead we get the sloppy, ill-defined and not mutually exclusive ideological slogans of "pro-life" versus "pro-choice."

My leading is that "reverence for life" means just that, and yet that there are no simply, unambivalent ways to draw moral or legal boundaries.  The closest we can get to this under the rule of law is to define human accountability for every behavior very explicitly.

Blessings,
Mike