[Sayma-Discuss] Britain Yearly Meeting urges recognition of Palestine

Larry Ingle lingle at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 17 14:02:02 EDT 2014

I am sorry that due to prior obligations I could not be at this year's final
session of SAYMA when this matter was discussed and add my voice to those
who called for a boycott of various products made in the occupied West Bank.
But I am even more distressed that Friends in SAYMA were unable to unite on
this proposal.  When I see British Friends calling for a much more
comprehensive solution to the tragedy of Palestinians and Jews failing to
live together, I  hope that next year's yearly meeting might find the way
open to suggest a way we can move forward on this peace-threatening issue.
I hold our Peace and Justice Committee in the Light and pray that the Spirit
of Christ, by which we profess to be guided, may lead us also to address
this issue.

Larry Ingle

On 8/17/14 1:42 PM, "Free Polazzo" <freepolazzo at att.net> wrote:

Quakers urge recognition of Palestine

> News » News releases
News Release
Quakers urge recognition of
> Palestine
Amid faltering ceasefires and talks, Quakers in Britain are calling
> for urgent action on Gaza. They urge the UK Government to recognise Palestine
> as a nation state; they call for a comprehensive arms embargo on all sides in
> the conflict and for an end to Israel¹s blockade of Gaza and occupation of
> Palestine.
The calls for action come in a statement made by the decision
> making body of Quakers in Britain, the Yearly Meeting, attended by 2,000
> Quakers in Bath.  As part of their commitment to peacemaking, Quakers continue
> to challenge anti-Semitism and Islamophobia.
The Yearly Meeting heard
> essential steps towards full and fair negotiations:

Palestine to be
> recognised as a nation state
An end to indiscriminate fire by all sides
> comprehensive arms embargo
An end to Israel¹s occupation of Palestinian
> territory and blockade of Gaza
Freeing elected Palestinian leaders now held as
> political prisoners
The use of international law to hold all parties to
> account for their actions.
The Yearly Meeting heard that this week that
> Quakers were invited to meet Foreign Office ministers on the crisis. Teresa
> Parker, programme manager for Israel and Palestine for Quakers in Britain, was
> among representatives from faith and secular agencies who went to share views
> and experience of the region.
A key motivation for Yearly Meeting is valuing
> all life. The Yearly Meeting statement says:
³As we among other Nobel Peace
> Laureates have said, ŒThe conflict between the Palestinians and the Israelis
> will only be resolved when Israel¹s occupation of the Palestinian territory is
> ended and the inherent equality, worth, and dignity of all is realised.¹
> Peacebuilding is a long and demanding path to takeŠ We long for ­ and will
> work for ­ a time when the deep fear experienced on all sides is replaced by
> security and a just peace."
The Yearly Meeting statement in full reads:
> statement on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict made by Quakers in Britain at
> their Yearly Meeting in Bath, 8 August 2014
³ At this time of sombre
> anniversaries, as we observe the centenary of the outbreak of World War I and
> the anniversaries of nuclear bombs dropped on the people of Hiroshima and
> Nagasaki we find our Quaker testimonies to peace and equality again compel us
> to speak out.
³The hostilities in Gaza are the latest eruption of the deep and
> long-running conflict between Israelis and Palestinians. Root causes of this
> conflict, including the structural violence of occupation, must be addressed.
> Such violence damages all the people of the region. The present time, with its
> faltering ceasefires and talks, is a time of both crisis and opportunity.

³From our long-standing Quaker experience of working on this issue in
> Palestine, Israel and Britain, and from listening to the testimony of Quakers
> in Ramallah, we are convinced that the UK Government has a real role to play.
> A starting place would be for the UK to recognise Palestine as a nation state
> on the same basis as it recognises Israel.  We note that 134 states have
> already recognised the State of Palestine. The UK Government should also play
> its part in creating a real opportunity for peace by drawing groups such as
> Hamas into the political process and thus away from violent resistance to the
> occupation. We have seen around the world how those once labelled as
> terrorists can come to be recognised for their statesmanship.   It is our view
> that freeing elected Palestinian leaders now held as political prisoners would
> help Palestine to develop as a flourishing economic, political and civil
> society.
³The international community remains complicit in the conflict for as
> long as it fails to make full use of the mechanisms provided by international
> law, to hold all parties to account for their actions.  Under international
> law, at all times, all parties should distinguish between civilians and
> combatants, though as Quakers we place equal value on every human life. The
> Israeli Government's ongoing blockade of Gaza and its apparent collective
> punishment of the people must end, as must indiscriminate fire by all
> sides.
³Amid the present crisis, we are reminded that the people of the West
> Bank, living under Israeli occupation face restrictions on movement; loss of
> land and water; demolitions; the continuing building of settlements; detention
> without trial and violence by settlers and the Israeli military. Such
> suffering often sows seeds of future violence.
³The anniversary of World War I
> reminds us how easily militarised societies can slide into armed conflict and
> become blind to the alternatives to war. At such times, the international
> community has a responsibility to avoid fuelling the conflict. We join others
> in asking for a comprehensive arms embargo on Israel, Hamas and armed
> Palestinian groups. Quakers in Britain ask the UK Government to take a lead on
> this by halting arms exports to Israel.
³As we, among other Nobel Peace
> Laureates, have said, 'The conflict between the Palestinians and the Israelis
> will only be resolved when Israel¹s occupation of the Palestinian territory is
> ended and the inherent equality, worth, and dignity of all is realised¹.
> Peacebuilding is a long and demanding path to take, but an essential
> one.
³Quakers in Britain feel called to act alongside others to address the
> roots of violence. We continue to uphold Quakers in the region and those
> working nonviolently for peace and human rights within Israel and Palestine.
> Quakers will continue to challenge anti-Semitism and Islamophobia, as we
> oppose all forms of prejudice. We long for ­ and will work for ­ a time when
> the deep fear experienced on all sides is replaced by security and a just
> peace.
Signed
Chris Skidmore
Clerk of the Yearly Meeting of the Religious
> Society of Friends (Quakers) in Britain
Quakers in Britain send human rights
> monitors to the West Bank, East Jerusalem, but not Gaza. On behalf of Churches
> Together in Britain and Ireland and other Christian agencies Quakers in
> Britain runs the Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine and Israel
> (EAPPI). Ecumenical accompaniers focus global attention on Israeli and
> Palestinian peace and human rights groups. EAPPI uses the standards of human
> rights and international law to work for an end to the occupation and for a
> just peace with security and dignity for all.
Ends

Notes to editors
134
> nations have already recognised the State of Palestine (source: Palestinian
> Mission UK).
The Nobel Peace Laureates¹ statement is here
> http://www.quaker.org.uk/news/nobel-peace-laureates-call-real-peace-between-is
> raelis-and-palestinians
The Ecumenical Accompaniment Programme in Palestine
> and Israel (EAPPI) is a World Council of Churches (WCC) initiative which was
> established in 2002 in response to a call made by the Heads of Churches in
> Jerusalem, and Palestinian and Israeli NGOs. Since August 2002, about 1,000
> ecumenical accompaniers from more than 20 countries have served in Israel and
> Palestinian territories. More than 160 of these EAs were from Britain and
> Ireland. See www.quaker.org.uk/eappi
Quakers are known formally as the
> Religious Society of Friends.
Around 23,000 people attend 478 Quaker meetings
> in Britain. Their commitment to equality, justice, peace, simplicity and truth
> challenges them to seek positive social and legislative change.
At the Yearly
> Meeting Gathering, 2,000 Quakers, including 300 young people, have been at the
> University of Bath campus for a mixture of worship, business, interest groups,
> and significant lectures, exploring ŒWhat it means to be a Quaker today¹.
> Junior Yearly Meeting, for 14 to 18 year olds, has run alongside YMG.
Media
> Information
Anne van Staveren
0207 663 1048