[Sayma-Discuss] George Amoss, Jr. - A Message in Time of War

Mike Shell bright_crow at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 30 22:24:28 EST 2014

Friends,

A blog post from George Amoss, Jr.

Crow-signature

Blessings,

Mike

A Message in Time of War

http://postmodernquaker.wordpress.com/2014/01/30/a-message-in-time-of-war/

Amiens_Cathedral_Micahs_prophecy_every_man_under_his_vine-300x236

Looking through my journal from past years, I found a transcription of vocal
ministry from April 20, 2003, not long after the U.S. government's invasion
of Iraq:

For the past couple of months I've been reading the works of George Fox. A
week or so ago, I read a passage there that affected me deeply. It's mostly
a quotation by Fox of words of the prophet Micah.

The prophet, said Fox, was speaking of Christ when he wrote, "He shall judge
amongst the nations, and shall rebuke many people, and they shall beat their
swords into plough shares, and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation shall
not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more, but
they shall sit every man under his vine, and under his fig tree, and none
shall make them afraid, for the mouth of the Lord of Hosts hath spoken it."

That in itself affected me, but I was even more deeply touched by Fox's own
words which followed. In his enthusiasm, Fox wrote, "Is not this vine
Christ, and are not these the days of his gospel of peace?"

Those words made me sad, because I knew that if I could respond to Fox today
I'd have to say, "These are certainly not the days of Christ's good news. We
still live under the God of war, not the Prince of Peace."

Fox and other Friends believed that the eschaton, the full realization of
God's Kingdom of peace and justice, was at hand. They believed so, in part,
because they knew by experience that within them was a holy light and power
which, when surrendered to, led them to justice and peace. They expected
that the extraordinary thing happening in and to them signaled the advent of
God's perfect world. After more than three hundred and fifty years of
subsequent history, we know that they were wrong in that expectation. But we
also know that they were not mistaken in their experience: living in
fidelity to the love in their hearts, they did change the world for the
better.

To say "better" is to judge. George Fox often insisted, quoting another
scripture [1 Cor. 6:2], that "the saints shall judge the nations." He knew
that Jesus had said, "Judge not, lest ye be judged," but he saw no
contradiction there. The Christ who "shall judge amongst the nations" lives
in those who are faithful to the measure of his light in their hearts; their
judging, then, is that of his spirit at work within them. In the spirit of
the Kingdom we discern good and evil.

When I see rulers who torture and murder those who oppose them, I know that
I see evil. When I read that the master of the world's mightiest military
said "I feel good!" moments before announcing the imminent destruction of
many lives in Iraq, I know that evil masquerades as goodness. When I think
of the millions of Christians who demand that death be visited on others
even as they pray that they themselves be spared, I know that we are
inhabited and surrounded by darkness.

The "ocean of darkness" is disheartening, but I find courage in the example
of those Friends who, despite the failure of the eschaton, never forsook
their commitment to the spirit of justice and peace. They teach me that,
although surrounded by darkness and bereft of grand hopes, I still can
cherish compassion and allow myself to live by its light, a branch of the
sheltering Christ-vine.

Note: When giving the message during worship in 2003, I did not recall the
statement by Fox perfectly, but for this post I have copied it from the
source,  Gospel Truth Demonstrated, Vol. 6 of the 1831 edition of his Works,
p. 166.