[Sayma-Discuss] [Fwd: News from AFSC NC- June 2014]

Geeta Jyothi McGahey mcgahey at yancey.main.nc.us
Thu Jun 12 14:10:08 EDT 2014

Latest AFSC NC Newsletter.
Geeta

------------------------- Original Message -------------------------
Subject: News from AFSC NC- June 2014
From:    "Lori, AFSC-Carolinas" <LKhamala at afsc.org>
Date:    Fri, June 6, 2014 8:41 am
To:      mcgahey at yancey.main.nc.us

https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50601/t/14571/blastContent.jsp?email_blast_KEY=1285884
]

Dear Geeta,

Things are heating up this summer in North Carolina! Moral Mondays
have started again, the kids are (almost) out of school, and we are
busier than ever working towards a more fair and just state and
world.  Check out what we have been up to over the last month in our
June newsletter [ http://tinyurl.com/AFSCNCnewsJune2014 ].

*Featured June Event: *We invite you all to join the
Undocugraduation, a powerful event at the state Legislature
advocating for tuition equality for undocumented students. NC has
over 35,000 undocumented students who are not eligible for in-state
tuition, even if they meet all other residency and academic
requirements. Many other state have already changed this to achieve
greater tuition equality; NC can too! Join us and bring your caps
and gowns!
Undocugraduation
Tuesday, June 17, 2014. 8am Lobby, 9:30am rally, then lobby your
legislators.
More details here [ http://tinyurl.com/FBundocugrad ]:
http://tinyurl.com/FBundocugrad .

Below you can find summaries of articles in our newsletter, and you
can access the full newsletter online here [
http://tinyurl.com/AFSCNCnewsJune2014 ].

In peace,

Lori Fernald Khamala
American Friends Service Committee, Area Office of the Carolinas

*AFSC June 2014 [ http://tinyurl.com/AFSCNCnewsJune2014 ] Newsletter
 [ http://tinyurl.com/AFSCNCnewsJune2014 ]Summaries*

Protesters Rally at the People's Lobby & Advocacy Day in Raleigh
 *Moral Mondays:* AFSC Staff members joined demonstrators at the
People's Lobby and Advocacy Day in Raleigh in May.

Community Member Logie Meachum at the Boycott! Art Exhibit
*Boycott! Art Exhibit:* AFSC's traveling Boycott! art exhibit was
displayed for one week at Guilford College, prompting community
thought and discussion about protest through art.

Our AFSC-NC Facebook Page. Like Us!  *Social Media and Social
Justice: *AFSC is one of many organizations utilizing the power of
new media to promote peace and justice, but how powerful are these
new media really?

Our New Summer Interns  *New Summer Interns: *We continue our
profile from last month of the Summer Interns (pictured here all
together) at the AFSC Area Office of the Carolinas. They are
fabulous!

 *Staff Updates:* Long time AFSC-NC staff member Ann Lennon was
recently promoted to Associate Regional Director of the South
Region, joining new Regional Director Kamau Franklin.

Staff Member Toni Etheridge with Friends in Gaza  *Reflections on
Israel-Palestine Delegation: *AFSC-NC staff member Toni Etheridge
recently joined the AFSC delegation to Israel-Palestine and wrote a
powerful reflection on her experience.

GeetaJyothi
http://changeinsights.wordpress.com/

Geeta Jyothi McGahey,MD