[Sayma-Discuss] Peacebuilders Camp news

Jonah McDonald jonahpmcd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 16:55:18 JEST 2014

Hi SAYMA Friends!

As many of you know, as well as working for our yearly meeting as SAYF
Administrative Assistant, several years ago I also co-founded a camp for
middle schoolers called Peacebuilders Camp at Koinonia Farm. I thought I'd
give you a little update today.

Each year that Peacebuilders Camp has been around, we've worked hard to
ensure that a wide range of kids participate. Each year, we've kids from
all socio-economic backgrounds. We've had white, black, latino, and asian
kids. Some kids have been American, some immigrants, and some refugees.
They have been Muslim, Christian, Jewish, and even Quaker! One of the
things I love most about camp is that the campers learn about peace, not
just through what we teach them, but through what campers from vastly
different backgrounds teach each other.

And as I mentioned, we've had at least one Quaker kid attend camp each
year. So far, these kids have been from Atlanta and Nashville Monthly
Meetings. And this year we have registrations from the Memphis Monthly
Meeting!

We'd like to have more Quakers! The camp dates are July 14-19 (ages 11-12)
and July 21-26 (ages 13-14). Do you know a young person, aged 11-14, at
your Meeting who might enjoy Peacebuilders Camp? Have their parents get in
touch with me, or visit www.peacebuilderscamp.org

The other way SAYMA Friends have helped support Peacebuilders Camp is
through donations. Each year we raise money so no camper is turned away for
lack of funds. And right now, we just received a $2,000 challenge grant
from our Advisory Board. If you'd like to financially support Peacebuilders
Camp, any gift of $50 or more will go twice as far! Here's how to donate:
http://www.peacebuilderscamp.org/donors/

Thanks, Friends! See you at Warren Wilson in June, if not before!

Jonah

*Storyteller, Author, Adventure Guide*
www.atlantastoryteller.com
www.hikingatlanta.com