[Sayma-Discuss] Tax Protest

Perry perryt at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 7 17:55:26 UTC 2014

Tax Protest                                    September 7, 2014
    An obituary in the NY Times recently headlined a 10-year-old girl’s refusal to say the Pledge of Allegiance in 1935 and its consequences. She was thrown out of school and shunned. Her refusal as a Jehovah’s Witness went to the Supreme Court twice finally upholding her First Amendment right of free speech. Which brings me to my right of free speech? Since the Supreme Court has ruled that corporations can contribute money for political means
 as a free speech right, shouldn’t I, as a Quaker, have the right to refuse to pay that portion of my income tax that goes for war based on religious grounds? Perry Treadwell, a war tax refuser for 40 years

"Our life is love and peace and tenderness; and bearing one with another, and forgiving one another:and not laying accusations one against another; but praying one for another; and helping one another up with a tender hand." Issac Pennington,1828