[Sayma-Discuss] [afmdiscussion] Tax Protest

Julia Ewen jewen at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 7 19:24:02 UTC 2014

When the Catholics and fundamentalists joined forces to refuse to pay for women’s reproductive health care in their insurance policies, on grounds of conscience and religious freedom, I called up Rep. Hank Johnson’s office and  said that fair is fair. If they get to refuse to put their money into a health program as required by law, then I and other Quakers ought to be exempted from paying the portion of income tax that goes to war expenditures, on the grounds that OUR religious principles require us to refuse to participate in paying for wars past, present or future.  However, I said, even if I got you to sponsor such a measure it would never pass. It wouldn’t take the public long to figure out that by being a pacifist  you got a 40 percent or more discount on your income tax, and it would make your head swim how fast and how many the “conversions” would be! The revenue loss to the government would be staggering!  So neither party  would ever let it happen. J  Julia Ewen