[Sayma-Discuss] "Historically we Friends were Christian fundamentalists" | Quaker Universalist Conversations

Mike Shell bright_crow at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 20 13:02:23 EST 2017

<https://universalistfriends.org/library/a-quaker-s-response-to-christian-fu
ndamentalism> A Quaker's Response to Christian Fundamentalism, Marshall
Massey offered the following Facebook comment, which we republish with his
permission.

"Historically we Friends were Christian fundamentalists"

https://universalistfriends.org/weblog/historically-we-friends-were-christia
n-fundamentalists

Historically, Friends emphasized human sinfulness much more than most of
their protestant and Roman Catholic contemporaries. Countless Quaker
ministers preached that not one thing we do without divine guidance and
assistance can even be good, let alone help us get to heaven.

The first step to becoming a Friend (Quaker) was convincement, which did not
mean intellectual persuasion; it meant being convinced (in the 17th century
sense of the word: convicted, found guilty in one's own eyes) of sin, by the
operation of Christ in one's heart and conscience..

Read more
<https://universalistfriends.org/weblog/historically-we-friends-were-christi
an-fundamentalists> ..

Blessings,