[Sayma-Discuss] Why "Black Lives Matter" is important for Friends to support. . .

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 00:57:12 EDT 2017

Hi Friends in Atlanta and throughout SAYMA,                                                     bcc:   AFM – Quakers for Racial Justice

The article below, “How the American Jim Crow System Inspired Hate and the Alt-Right”,  does a wonderful job of explaining how America has a long way to go before it is seen by the rest of the world as the  “beacon of shining light” it sometimes pretends to be.    Anyone who is not part of the dominant culture will pretty quickly find out who is “included and safe” and who is “excluded and unsafe”.

My entry into this country as a refugee from World War Two was caused by the racism my family experienced in Germany.     Even after Germany was defeated  we could not safely return to my mom’s home in Heidelberg, as Jews were still “verboten”.  We were “lucky” as America was in shock over the disclosure of what the Nazis had done to the Jews and made it easy for us to come to the USA and she did.   Little did she realize that she was bringing us to another, even more racist country than the one she was born into.

I remember her telling us that she saw Nazis everywhere she moved.     I have long wondered what she “saw” because I was looking for swastikas and other outwards symbols of the Nazis.    I now realize that because English was her 4th language learned as an adult, she had confused the word “Nazi” for the word “racist”.     She meant to say she saw racists everywhere she lived.   . . .   NYC, Long Island, NY, Atlanta, Georgia; Greenville, South Carolina; Asheville, North Carolina and Memphis; Tennessee.   Sigh. . ..  Sorry, mom, for missing this important fact.   It seems you were right all along.

You also told me to be considerate of all the Black folks I met because if it wasn’t for them being here first, WE JEWS would have been the recipients of the hatred they were getting.  I think each of us, no matter what “racial” group we belong to,  need to ponder her words.    After listening long and hard to the “Alt Right”  I hear the message that ANYONE whom they determine is “impure” or a threat to their goal of “racial purity for the White Race” can be targeted for violence.    Remember that it was the purity of the “German Race” that  was the goal of the Nazis.    (Germany has done much to prevent a recurrence of their experience and perhaps we can learn from them that “Freedom of Speech” cannot be more important than “Preserving Life”.

“Those who don’t learn their history are bound to repeat it” is a message that is more important with each passing year I am alive.    Maybe it might also apply to those of us who make up the Religious Society of Friends?

One message is that evil will prevail when “good people” do nothing.

Here are two articles that I recommend to Friends to help us on our journey to doing “something”.

-- Free Solomon Polazzo

Douglasville, GA

Cell - 770-778-8507

“No one can be free unless everyone can be free”

Black Lives Matter!

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=EeWimLAknkTB6nl47A6byg>  <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=EeWimLAknkTB6nl47A6byg> Atlanta BlackStar <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=EeWimLAknkTB6nl47A6byg>

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=cR1tR6hQRe97NoeeDI9RvQ>  <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=cR1tR6hQRe97NoeeDI9RvQ> Facebook <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=cR1tR6hQRe97NoeeDI9RvQ>

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=NFpm6VUubVog2fpOyiQ75A>  <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=NFpm6VUubVog2fpOyiQ75A> Twitter <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=NFpm6VUubVog2fpOyiQ75A>

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=keVSm4Q88twGW8vXKbJxJQ>  <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=keVSm4Q88twGW8vXKbJxJQ> YouTube <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=keVSm4Q88twGW8vXKbJxJQ>

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=IJu6FtNI_i5f_h9bWvIwTg>  <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=IJu6FtNI_i5f_h9bWvIwTg> Rss Feed <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=IJu6FtNI_i5f_h9bWvIwTg>

Atlanta Black Star is a narrative company.  We publish narratives intentionally and specifically to enlighten and transform the world.

Hi ,

Atlanta Black Star Newsletter

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=n5i9zySvqRz08ad6iLjVCw> How the American Jim Crow System Inspired Hate and the Alt-Right

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=n5i9zySvqRz08ad6iLjVCw> How the American Jim Crow System Inspired Hate and the Alt-Right

Although it is common knowledge that modern-day Nazis in America draw their inspiration from Nazi Germany, far less widely known is that the Jim Crow South inspired...

READ MORE <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=n5i9zySvqRz08ad6iLjVCw>

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=Rx3j2c0rINQ3PWE31AGAlQ> Philly Police Union President Calls BLM Activists ‘a Pack of Rabid Animals’

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=Rx3j2c0rINQ3PWE31AGAlQ> Philly Police Union President Calls BLM Activists ‘a Pack of Rabid Animals’

The president of a Philadelphia police union issued a jarring response to Black Lives Matter after activists dared to demand police accountability in the fatal shooting of a Black man...

Read More <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=Rx3j2c0rINQ3PWE31AGAlQ>

It will take years for victims of Hurricane Harvey to fully recover from the storm, but in the meantime, volunteer hairstylists are bringing a little sunshine to their plight...

Read More <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=xNMN0kVB2CNo07WlCDRvDg>

 <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=EeWimLAknkTB6nl47A6byg>  <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=EeWimLAknkTB6nl47A6byg> Atlanta BlackStar <http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE&b=EeWimLAknkTB6nl47A6byg>

© 2016 | Diamond Diaspora Media | 75 Marietta Street
Atlanta Georgia 30303
USA

  <https://openrate.aweber.com/y/o/?l=BiR2T&m=hqprHcTqW8sSEQE>