Internet Access Control

Free Polazzo friendlysystems at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 6 13:47:20 JEST 1999

Hi Friends,

Given the concern expressed over the use of the Internet, I am forwarding a
part of a letter that Charles Brewer, the president of Mindspring, (our
Internet Service Provider), sent today.  It addresses issues that all
Internet users need to be aware of.

It is not a "rumor" or "spam".

He signed it.

Knowledge is Power

:)

Free Polazzo
Anneweekee Creek Friends Worship Group

======
> [...]
>dealing fairly with other service providers.  However, in many cases they
>are seeking the same practical power the cable companies want by looking for
>ways to discriminate against their competitors and steer customers to their
>own ISP operations.  How would you feel if your only economical way to reach
>the next generation Internet was by using your local phone company?  Do you
>want to pay their prices, which would not be regulated?  Do you want to rely
>on them for technical support?  Do you want them deciding what content you
>are exposed to each time you visit the web?  For that matter, do you feel
>much better if you could choose between the phone company and the cable
>company, but no one else?
>
>It doesn't have to be this way.  Both the phone and cable companies can
>easily allow customers to connect with other ISPs besides their own so that
>consumers can continue to choose their ISP for themselves.  They just don't
>want to do so.  They want to completely lock up the next generation Internet
>customer for themselves (the cable position).  Or they want freedoms that
>would allow them to discriminate against consumers choosing unaffiliated
>ISPs (the position of some telephone companies).  Either way, today's open
>and competitive door to the Internet would be slammed shut.
>
>This is the most important issue consumers of Internet and
>telecommunications services face.  If consumers don't have an open choice of
>which service provider they connect to through the "last mile" wire leading
>to their homes and businesses, we emphatically will not have a competitive
>market for the core communications service of the future - the Internet.
>
>Government policy makers are considering these questions right now.  They
>are hearing plenty from the telephone company and cable company interests.
>They need to hear from customers.  The message is simple.  The government
>should adopt policies that allow consumers to use the Internet service
>provider of their choice - both today and in the next generation "broadband"
>world.
>
>MindSpring is a founding member of the OpenNET Coalition - a group dedicated
>to this issue.  If you would like to find out how to make your voice heard
>on this issue, please go the coalition web site and sign up to be part of
>the OpenNET Coalition Activist Network:
>
>http://www.openNETcoalition.org/action/
>
>The coalition will keep you informed and let you know about the best
>opportunities for you to express your views to policy makers.
>
>We at MindSpring have never asked you to take a stance on any political or
>public policy issue.  But, this one is so critical to the future of Internet
>consumers, and so directly relevant to the service that MindSpring provides
>to you, that we feel we need to make sure you are aware of this issue and
>encourage you to speak up.
>
>As always, thank you very much for your attention and for choosing
MindSpring.