Violence, Fantasy, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Free Polazzo friendlysystems at mindspring.com
Wed May 26 13:36:54 JEST 1999

Dear SAYMA Friends,

I received this e mail as part of a Sci Fi (Babylon 5) List to which I
belong.  It deals with issues of violence in the
media and it's effects on viewers and its producers.  The letter is from
Warner Brothers (WB) CEO , forwarded by a local TV36 employee.

The questions it raises are good ones for Friends to ponder.   For me, some
of the question are:

Is this an opportunity to speak with our teens about violence and how to
respond to it?

Is is progress to have female heros inflicting violence on the "villains"?

The villains in Buffy are VERYmalevolent and one sided -( vampires mostly)
 Does that excuse the violence?

Why is this show so popular?

Shalom,

Free