[saymaListserv] IMP^o^ 071 Iraq Minute - Crossville

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Tue Aug 1 16:32:36 JEST 2000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMP ^o^ Bulletin 071
Minute
Call for the End of Economic Sanctions on Iraq
from Crossville (TN) Monthly Meeting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(from a 7-26-00 message from Margaret Purchase)

<|>    July 16, 2000

<|>    "The Crossville Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
(Quaker) calls for the relief of suffering for the Iraqi people through
an immediate end to economic sanctions against Iraq and a
strengthened embargo on military material.  Sanctions have not
served as a humane alternative to war; they have had the same effect on
the civilianpopulation as military force. We hold no illusions about
Saddam Hussein's brutal regime or potential threat. Yet the policy
pursued for the last ten years has come at the cost of one million lives
and the virtual destruction of an entire nation."

<|>    Signed by Philip Thomforde for the Meeting

<|>    We will publicize it in local newspapers.  We found the
Summer action kit from FCNL very helpful and inspiring ! ! !

<|>    Margaret Purchase
P.O.Box 515 (38 Oak Lane)
Pleasant Hill, TN  38578
931-277-5671

 ~~~~~ end ^o^ ~~~~~ 1stpostdate 080100 ~~~~~

IMP ^o^ ... "Information Made Present"

is a bulletin service of the SAYMA office to provide practical details
to our geographically-challenged Yearly Meeting via our free
list-server:  semi-official information, bulletins that you can print,
post, announce, publish, or pass around.  Please address questions,
corrections and additions to moriah at preferred.com,
540-628-5852 (machine), or SAYMA Admin. Asst., c/o 165 Jackson
Street, Abingdon, VA 24210.  Thank you!  ^o^ Mary Calhoun, AA