[saymaListserv] unexpected common ground

Susan Snider ssnider at m-y.net
Thu Jun 15 10:15:21 JEST 2000

Dear Friends,

   Consider the following words:

   "We cherish and defend religious liberty, and deny the right of any secular or religious authority to impose a confession of faith upon a church or body of churches. We honor the principles of soul competency and the priesthood of believers, affirming together both liberty in Christ and our accountability to each other under God."

   This is not a Quaker statement, but the banner at the head of the Southern Baptist convention! I don't agree with where the Baptists have gone from this starting point, but it could easily have been taken from Friends writings. It challenges me to find some common ground with people I usually don't feel very connected to, in how we express and carry out our faith.

   I continue to be ever grateful that early Friends articulated the idea of continuing revelation, so that we don't need to feel that our understanding of Truth is fixed at any point in time, nor do we need to fear that our understanding of Spirit is contradicted by our scientific knowledge. That was a mighty gift they gave to us.

   Blessings to all,

   Sue Snider
   Celo MM