IMP^o^051 Chatt AFSC Minute

Gerald L. Rudolph grudolph at clarity-dev.com
Sun Mar 26 20:02:35 JEST 2000

Friends,

Our meeting each year considers contributions it makes to other
organizations.  We sometimes discontinue contributions to organizations and
add contributions to others, both Quaker and non-Quaker.  Meetings normally
do this without much fanfare.  For Chattanooga Meeting to announce to the
world that it is discontinuing the $100 annual contribution it currently
gives to AFSC is unfortunate and I hope that their intent was not to bring
harm to AFSC.

AFSC has been courageous in some of the stands it has taken for the
oppressed and marginalized of the world.  I applaud AFSC's work, and feel
that their work is very much in line with Quaker values and principles.  I
encourage meetings to respond to concerns they might have related to AFSC
personnel policies and matters by increasing their involvement.  AFSC has
done outstanding work for poor, for prisoners,  for oppressed, and for
groups who are pushed outside the margins of our society, and I am dismayed
that Friends would respond to disagreement about personnel matters with such
a potentially harmful approach.

As meetings consider the minute from Chattanooga,  I encourage them to speak
plainly about their concerns related to AFSC and not hide their real
concerns behind questions about personnel matters and policies.  For
example, if you are displeased with AFSC because of their stand on gay
rights, please say so plainly.  If you are truly think AFSC should not be an
equal opportunity employer, but should require staff to be predominately
Quaker and are willing to withhold contributions for that reason,  please
investigate the staff makeup of other organizations (Quaker and non-Quaker)
to which you contribute.

giving a $200 contribution to AFSC.  I encourage Friends who support AFSC to
also respond by increasing their personal contributions.

This is a personal response and did not come from my meeting.

Gerald Rudolph
Columbia Friends Meeting