IMP^o^051 Chatt AFSC Minute

Gerald L. Rudolph grudolph at clarity-dev.com
Tue Mar 28 22:05:49 JEST 2000

> Unfortuately, I have received little insight into Gerald Rudolph's
> definitions of what Quakers ought to be about.  All I have learned is that
> he does not like the Chattanooga minute on the matter--for the record, I
had
> nothing at all to do with that minute (its words are not mine, and I doubt
> that withholding funds is the best way to deal with the problems as we
> collectively saw them)--that he support FCNL--not until now a part of the
> controversy--and that he does not favor a central authority that can
decide
> where meetings send money--other than AFSC's constant posturing as
"Quaker"
> and promoting itself as the place to send it.

Larry,

I made a comparison of my support for FCNL with my support of AFSC to
explain how they both worthy to be called Quaker Organizations even though
they were primarily humanitarian in focus, and though they address only a
part of what is important to my faith.  Was my use of FCNL as a comparison
not clear?  Why did you discount this comparison as simply my adding FCNL to
the controversy?

I was responding to your request for an "essay" explaining why AFSC was
Quakerly and not just humanitarian.  As part of that explanation, I used my
support for FCNL as a comparison, not to suggest Chattanooga or SAYMA should
drop support for them as well.  I could have used some other Quaker
organization as a comparison, but thought the two were similar enough to the
"humanitarian" focus you found in AFSC to explain my thoughts.  Do you find
this comparison with FCNL (or any other Quaker organization) objectionable?

I dread another trip to SAYMA with this controversy being raised.  I skipped
last year because the previous year was so difficult and contentious.
People then made inflammatory statements similar to your referring to AFSC
as "posturing as Quaker".  It has been a Quaker organization for decades.
Its board is overwhelming made up of Quakers.  Why refer to it with
anger-filled words like "posturing"?  There is nothing being communicated
with such words except your disdain.  If you take such a hostile approach at
SAYMA, there will be little chance of mutual understanding at any level.

Gerald Rudolph