[saymaListserv] Re: [Sayma] AFSC and the Religious Society of Friends

William Kelly Morris morriskk at mindspring.com
Wed May 3 01:56:51 JEST 2000

Thank you, Larry for your thoughtfulness and for telling your story in this
most personal way. I can resonate with the populist thinnking from my work
on personal racism, - that is, I must first change myself with the support
of the Spirit and others. Then, with others, I can work to bring about
institutional change, but through the leading and guiding of personal
experience and always with the constant assistance of the Divine Presence.
Sometimes I think it is hard to separate this way of working from the idea
of the "do-gooder" mentality, the thinking that was more prevalent in
decades past and often guided activist groups (from my experience,anyway).
My sense from reading and listening is that the AFSC has become more
conscious of these distinctions in recent years and is more actively seeking
to "serve" by working "with" and not "for"  groups. I'd lke to hear more
about this from those who have had direct exerience.
Karen Morris
343 Adams Street
Decatur, GA  30030