[saymaListserv] IMP^o^ 061 Death Penalty Min (Ashev)

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Sat May 13 18:38:57 JEST 2000

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMP ^o^ Bulletin 061
Minute on the Death Penalty
Asheville (NC) Friends Meeting
Approved February 13, 2000
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(from Minutes, SAYMA Spring '00 Representative Meeting)

<|>    "In keeping with the Religious Society of Friends' traditional
opposition to the death penalty, Asheville Friends Meeting endorses the
American Bar Association resolution calling for a moratorium on all
executions while meaningful steps are taken to "ensure that death
penalty cases are administered fairly and impartially" and "to minimize
the risk that innocent people may be executed.

        "We, however, consider this only an interim move toward our
vision of and commitment to the total abolition of capital punishment in
North America and the United States.

        "Asheville Friends Meeting recognizes that in making this
endorsement it is joining with many other faith communities and civic
groups in a nationwide movement.  We wish to inform local, state, and
national leaders of our action and request that they join with us in
calling for Moratorium Now.

        "Asheville MM February 13, 2000"

<|>    (also from Minutes, SAYMA Spring '00 Representative Meeting)  In
connection with the death penalty, "it was suggested that Minutes,
account of actions, and proposed activities be forwarded to the SAYMA
office, which will begin a file of this information for an agenda item
for Yearly Meeting."

~~~~~~~end ^o^ ~~~~~~

IMP ^o^ ... "Information Made Present"

is a bulletin service of the SAYMA office to provide practical details
to our geographically-challenged Yearly Meeting via our free
list-server:  semi-official information, bulletins that you can print,
post,
announce, publish, or pass around.  Please address questions,
corrections and additions to moriah at preferred.com,
540-628-5852 (machine), or SAYMA Admin. Asst., c/o 165 Jackson Street,
Abingdon, VA 24210.  Thank you!  ^o^ Mary Calhoun, AA