'556 Re: [saymaListserv] seeing the List membership

Janet Minshall jhminshall at mindspring.com
Wed May 17 09:37:33 JEST 2000

Hi Mary,  Please let Joey Hess know that sending responses from SAYMA
members/attenders ONLY to the person who wrote the message almost
completely defeats the purpose of having the kitenet list as a means of
communication among SAYMA Friends. Open and unfettered dialogue is the
whole point of an e-mail discussion and is more consistent with Friends
faith and practice than any form of managed or directed communication.
Using an individual response mode as a default on the listserve practically
insures that such open discussions will no longer take place.  My partner,
Free, suggests that individual responses are rather like whispering to
someone during meeting for worship. I think if it is important enough to
say, then it is important enough to share with everyone.  It is one
standard of truth.

Also I, for one, would hate to see the kitenet list turned into an
"official business only" list.  If we are to have such an official list,
let it be in addition to, not instead of, the current open discussion site.
			 Best Regards,  Janet Minshall