[saymaListserv] electronic communications

Keiter2b at aol.com Keiter2b at aol.com
Fri May 26 12:18:07 JEST 2000

Dear Friends,

Some thoughts on electronic communication and the SAYMA list serve:

I am grateful that Joey Hess has been willing to share his expertise and
equipment to make electronic communication possible.  Has SAYMA made an
effort to express its appreciation?

I am grateful that Mary Calhoun works to use this tool for communication and
to reach out to those in our scattered Meeting.  Do we support her in this
effort?

Do we use our gift of the SAYMA list serve in a way that reflects Quaker
values?  Sometimes less effort seems to be made to season messages than would
be expected in Meeting, letters, or even personal conversations, and yet the
message can be instantly copied and sent to many—reasons for a more careful,
rather than a less seasoned correspondence.

Does the use of electronic media for communication make personal interactions
more impersonal and anonymous?   On the highway, this sort of anonymity has
contributed to out-of-character behavior with ordinarily courteous,
thoughtful people behaving in aggressive, thoughtless ways.  Are we seeing
this same character change on the electronic highway?

I am concerned that some Friends who do not share this technology may feel
left out—already, I hear in our Meeting an unwillingness to take on certain
positions of responsibility due to lack of access to computer communication.
At least one Monthly Meeting’s Statement of Practice requires computer access
and a particular software program for its Treasurer.

Computer equipment is expensive and computer expertise even more so—How can
we use such technology and maintain personal testimonies of simplicity?

Communication is rapid—How do we season our responses on issues important to
Friends?  Do we show the same concern for the recipient that we would should
we meet face to face?  Are we careful to proof communications to assure that
addresses and messages are appropriate? Do we take time to be careful and
deliberate?

Peace,
Beth Keiter