[saymaListserv] List-server "reply-to" options

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Fri May 26 15:56:03 JEST 2000

Dear Kathleen,

Thanks for the information!  Please help me be clear about the
"if/then's"
involved.

(It seems we're into a situation where we need to understand that
everyone's e-mail software doesn't do the same things, hence our
experiences are different, and -- as I've heard it said -- there isn't
even a common terminology for what to click or push on our various
systems.)

If the list-server software's "reply-to-list" option is turned on--

(a)    I think you're saying that some people might have an e-mail
program that would show only sayma at kitenet.net (on the "from" line) as
the
source of the message.  And so, if they wished to reply privately, these
folks wouldn't have the sender's e-mail address.  Unless, of course,
the sender put it in the body of the message, or the recipients already
knew the sender's address.

(b)    You seem to be saying that this sort of "unrevealing software" is
a fairly limited problem.  First, because many people have email
programs that can always show "to"/"from"/"copy-to"/etc on incoming
messages, and so show the sender's address.  Second, because some people
get only part of the "to"/"from"/"copy-to"/etc, but usually at least
"from," with the sender's email address.

(c)    We could help the remaining folks get senders' addresses (if need
be) by adopting the habit of "signing" our list-server messages with
both name and email address.

And -- reading between your lines -- we could help each other,
especially newcomers, deal with the reality that e-mail technology
(amazing, that all these different machines and programs talk to each
other at all!) isn't entirely convenient.

^o^
Mary Calhoun
Foxfire FM
AA, SAYMA