[saymaListserv] IMP^o^ 114 Vieques Min

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Sat Aug 4 18:43:02 JEST 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMP ^o^ Bulletin 114
Minute on Vieques
from Asheville (NC) Friends Meeting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(from a 6-24-01 message from Valerie Hogstrom, Co-Clerk, Asheville FM)

<|>    At the June 17th [2001] Meeting for Business Asheville Friends
Meeting approved the following minute:-

<|>    "We affirm the historic Quaker testimony against war and the
preparation for war.  We recognize that war is the most environmentally
destructive act in which we engage.  We therefore stand with the people
of Puerto Rico and Vieques, who are American citizens, in their call
for the immediate end to the Navy bombing on the inhabited island of
Vieques.  We hold the U.S. Navy responsible for the environmental
restoration of Vieques and the waters around the island that have been
contaminated.  We urge all people of faith to join in carrying this
message to their elected representatives in the U.S. government."

<|>    On 6-24-01 Valerie also said, "Friend Elizabeth Roebling
(formerly Eames) left this morning for Vieques so that she may witness
in support of this concern."

<|>    On 7-12-01 Valerie added, "Elizabeth Roebling did indeed protest
at Vieques, was arrested and faces charges tomorrow.  We expect her to
return on Monday and will find out then what consequences there will
be."

<|>    On 7-23-01 Valerie reported, "Elizabeth Roebling went to court in
San Juan last week, had a lenient judge and was sentenced to 'time
served' and complimented by the judge for the quality of her
presentation to the court!

~~~~~~ end ^o^ ~~~~~~ 1stpost 080401 ~~~~~~

IMP ^o^ ... "Information Made Present"

is a bulletin service of the SAYMA office to provide practical details
to our geographically-challenged Yearly Meeting via our free
list-server:  semi-official information, bulletins that you can print,
post, announce, publish, or pass around.  Please address questions,
corrections and additions to moriah at preferred.com,
540-628-5852 (machine), or SAYMA Admin. Asst., c/o 165 Jackson
Street, Abingdon, VA 24210.  Thank you!  ^o^ Mary Calhoun, AA