[saymaListserv] IMP^o^ 116 Rep Meeting, all welcome!

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Thu Aug 16 14:13:29 JEST 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMP ^o^ Bulletin 116
All welcome...
... at SAYMA's Rep Meetings
Next one: September 8th at Birmingham FM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please share with your meeting --

<|>  Fall Representative Meeting will be held Saturday, Sept 8th, at
9:00 am
Central time, hosted by the Birmingham (AL) Friends Meeting.

<|>  Any f/Friend may attend and participate; those gathered represent
the
Yearly Meeting.  (Attending without "official" duties can be a
delightful
chance for fellowship and taking part in Quaker process.)

<|>  "Representative Meeting carries out the ongoing work of the yearly
meeting and acts in the name of the yearly meeting between sessions."
(A
Guide to Our Faith and Our Practice)

<|>  SAYMA "... is organized ... to provide fellowship and a central
coordinating group of Friends ... through which individuals and Monthly
Meetings are nurtured, and whereby inspiration, spiritual
revitalization,
mutual irradiation, exchange of ideas, comparison of problems, and
coordination of spiritual/religious efforts may be accomplished."  (from
"...Articles of SAYMA," an "approved operating description for ... legal
and
other purposes.")

<|>  Each meeting and worship group is encouraged to send a
Representative.
These f/Friends are important channels of two-way communication between
SAYMA and local meetings.

<|>  Presently, SAYMA is comprised of about 31 meetings and worship
groups
(ranging in size from under half a dozen to over 300 members and
attenders).
About two thirds of these groups count themselves as "up-to-50"
f/Friends.

<|>  "Our name ... in traditional Quaker language indicates that we meet
annually to conduct our business.  The yearly meeting, however, is a
cooperative association and exercises no authority, other than moral and
advisory, over any local meeting or individual Friend."  (Faith and
Practice)

<|>  Registration packets will be mailed soon to f/Friends recorded in
the
SAYMA office as
    -- Clerks/contacts for their meetings or worship groups
    -- SAYMA representatives
    -- members of Yearly Meeting Planning Committee
        and the SAYMA Ministry & Nurture Committee
    -- clerks of SAYMA committees
    -- SAYMA Clerks and Treasurer

<|>  Others wishing to attend may contact their clerk or
visit our web-site www.sayma.org

~~~~~~ end ^o^ ~~~~~~ postdate 081601 ~~~~~~

IMP ^o^ ... "Information Made Present"

is a bulletin service of the SAYMA office to provide practical details
to our geographically-challenged Yearly Meeting via our free
list-server:  semi-official information, bulletins that you can print,
post, announce, publish, or pass around.  Please address questions,
corrections and additions to AdminAsst at sayma.org,
540-628-5852 (machine), or SAYMA Admin. Asst., c/o 165 Jackson
Street, Abingdon, VA 24210.  Thank you!  ^o^ Mary Calhoun, AA