[saymaListserv] "Liberal Quakers" newly identified?

CIsland at aol.com CIsland at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 11:30:01 JEST 2001

Friends,

The little low key sociology-of-religion report quoted in full below arouses
some interest in me.  I thought it might also in you.  It was reported on one
of the "Periscope" pages in the August 13, 2001, issue of Newsweek magazine.

"RELIGION
Quaker Votes
LIBERAL QUAKERS ARE a quiet bunch, and until recently, so was the Beliefnet
Web page devoted to them. It got so few hits that tracking software didn't
pick it up. Now it's one of Beliefnet's top 50 links, thanks to
Belief-O-Matic, a tongue-in-cheek quiz matching personal ideologies with
established faiths. Editor Steven Waldman says the quiz pegs "a
disproportionate number” of respondents as liberal Quakers. Suddenly, test
takers have flooded Quaker groups with curious e-mail. "We used to send out
two sample copies of our magazine a week says Trish Edwards-Konic, Quaker
Life editor. "Now we send out 10." Online forums are also buzzing with posts
ranging from the newly converted to, well, the quizzical."

William F. "Bill" Reynolds
3529 Dell Trail
Chattanooga, TN  37411
e-mail:  cisland at aol.com