[saymaListserv] IMP^o^ 121 Q scam part 2

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Mon Aug 20 20:23:05 JEST 2001

IMP ^o^ Bulletin 121

Scam Warning
from FWCC
(Friends World Committee for Consultation)

(from an 8-20-01 message from Cilde Grover,
                FWCC Section of the Americas)

<|>    A similar warning came about a year ago from a
worship group within SAYMA which had received a bogus call for help.

<|>    Greetings Friends,

We have received word of a number of incidents where a man is
claiming to be a known Friend.  He generally calls a meeting to
get information about another meeting or contact for a meeting and
ultimately uses that information to ask for money.  The general
story is that he has been beaten up and needs money to get home.
He has passed himself off as a yearly meeting clerk and also as a
yearly meeting superintendent.  He obviously knows the system of
Friends and has information about a number of meetings and yearly
meetings.  I personally know of the following yearly meetings being
involved;  Northwest, Intermountain,  South Central, North Pacific,
Indiana and Alaska.  There are also some monthly meetings that have
been contacted.

Please use caution in giving out names and numbers of individuals as
contacts within Friends.  We are all in the practice of giving out
information to seekers about meetings and I hope we can continue to
do that even with the current situation.

Please be very wary about sending money to someone who fits the above
description.  You can get a phone number for most yearly meetings
from the Calendar of Yearly Meetings which is produced by the World
Office of FWCC.  Think about checking with the yearly meeting if you
get a request from staff or a clerk for help in this way.

In friendship,

Cilde Grover
cildeg at fwcc.quaker.org

~~~~~~ end ^o^ ~~~~~~ 1stpost 082001 ~~~~~~

IMP ^o^ ... "Information Made Present"

is a bulletin service of the SAYMA office to provide practical details
to our geographically-challenged Yearly Meeting via our free
list-server:  semi-official information, bulletins that you can print,
post, announce, publish, or pass around.  Please address questions,
corrections and additions to AdminAsst at sayma.org,
540-628-5852 (machine), or SAYMA Admin. Asst., PO Box 2191,
Abingdon, VA 24212-2191.  Thank you!  ^o^