[saymaListserv] scam

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Wed Aug 22 09:30:02 JEST 2001

Dear Friends,

A couple of thoughts --

-- if you've had this experience, consider reporting it to FWCC's
Section of the Americas.  There's an e-mail address at the end of the
caution message.

-- the "fuel" for the scam seems to be knowledge of Friends ways in
general, and in particular the names of YMs, meetings, and individual
Friends.  At this point there is nothing to prevent a scammer from
subscribing to the SAYMA list-server, receiving its messages, and
harvesting names and meeting names from them.  I'm not clear what a
Friendly response to this fact would be, but it bears thinking about.

Mary