[saymaListserv] IMP^o^ 094 Middle East Min

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Fri Feb 9 18:30:45 JEST 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMP ^o^ Bulletin 094
Minute Seeking Peace Between
Israel and Palestine
from Crossville (TN) Friends Meeting
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(from a 1-8-01 message from Margaret Purchase)

<|>     We would like this Minute circulated within SAYMA.

<|>     It is unlikely that anyone from our Meeting will be able to
attend the April 7th Representative Meeting in Ashville to present and
speak for it.  We wonder if another meeting would be willing to submit a
similar Minute.

----------------------------------
Minute Seeking Peace Between Israel and Palestine

        The Crossville Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of
Friends has approved a minute calling on the U.S. Government to
facilitate the peaceful resolution of the conflict between the Israeli
and  Palestinian governments.
        The Meeting had received a report of a gathering held on at the
Friends Boys School in Ramallah, Palestine, of about 100 United States
citizens living in occupied Jerusalem, West Bank and Gaza Strip which
deplored the failure of our government to condemn the use of lethal
weaponry against Palestinian civilians.
        The Meeting calls on the US Government to take the lead in
providing international protection for Palestinian civilians, to support
the demand for an immediate international inquiry into the root causes
of the conflict, to suspend arms shipments to Israel which are in
violation of the U.S.Arms Export Control Act, and to terminate the
transfer of U.S. funds to Israel, (currently in the amount of over 6
billion dollars per year) for as long a Israel remains in violation of
UN resolutions and international law.
        The Meeting believes that a peaceful solution can and must be
found and calls upon our government at whatever level is needed to
facilitate a termination of hostilities and the establishment of peace
between Israel and Palestine.

(Signed) Gladys Draudt, Clerk  (931-484-6920)

~~~~~~ end ^o^ ~~~~~~ 1stpostdate 020901 ~~~~~~

IMP ^o^ ... "Information Made Present"

is a bulletin service of the SAYMA office to provide practical details
to our geographically-challenged Yearly Meeting via our free
list-server:  semi-official information, bulletins that you can print,
post, announce, publish, or pass around.  Please address questions,
corrections and additions to moriah at preferred.com,
540-628-5852 (machine), or SAYMA Admin. Asst., c/o 165 Jackson
Street, Abingdon, VA 24210.  Thank you!  ^o^ Mary Calhoun, AA