[saymaListserv] AFSC

Gerald Rudolph (Jerry) grudolph at clarity-dev.com
Mon Jun 4 15:25:06 JEST 2001

The following is a minute from the Columbia Friends Meeting re AFSC:
“The American Friends Service Committee is a practical expression of
the faith of the Religious Society of ‘Friends (Quakers).  Committed
to the principles of nonviolence and justice, it seeks in its work and
witness to draw on the transforming power of love, human and divine. “

“We recognize that the leadings of the Spirit and the principles of
truth found through Friends’ experience and practice are not the
exclusive possession of any group.  Thus the AFSC draws into its work
people of many faiths and backgrounds who share the values that
animate its live and who bring to it a rich variety of experiences and
spiritual insights.”
	-- from the Mission Statement of the American Friends Service
Committee

We in the Columbia Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
affirm the mission of AFSC as reflected in this statement.  As a
meeting we have been active with AFSC. We have worked with the HIP
project, have conducted listening projects, and have invited the
Middle East  Peace Education project staff to our meeting. We have had
members and attenders on the SERO board, on national committees, and
as members of the Corporation.

As within any organization that deals with issues of social injustice
there has been conflict. Nevertheless, AFSC, both regionally and
nationally, has been a support and an inspiration for our work in
South Carolina. We encourage other meetings to support AFSC ,  to use
the excellent resources they provide, and to become actively involved
in joint projects with AFSC.