[saymaListserv] IMP^o^ 123 Adverts on List-Server

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Tue Nov 20 23:47:52 JEST 2001

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMP ^o^ Bulletin 123
Advertisements on SAYMA list-server
felt to be unf/Friendly
"Prevention" filter put in place
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(from the Administrative Assistant)

<|>    One SAYMA f/Friend has written to the office about -- and others
may have noticed -- a spate of advertising messages posted to our
list-server (sayma at kitenet.net).  The writer thought them inappropriate.

<|>    The list-server administrator has been dealing with -- unseen by
readers --  a series of would-be postings from "hahahasexyfun." These
and other spam ("junk mail" postings) cause extra work; they put up a
red flag to the list-administrator, who must go see who's knocking and
reject their message.

<|>    The list's host/owner has said there's an option to prevent these
unwanted postings -- the list-server software can be told to allow
postings only by people who are subscribed to the list.  (This
restriction was in place on the "old" list-server software, prior to
April 2000. Apparently most spammers don't subscribe to the lists
they annoy.)

<|>    The list-administrator has therefore turned on this "prevention
filter."  Beginning now, f/Friends will need to be subscribed to
sayma at kitenet.net before they can post a message to it.

<|>    Instructions for subscribing, as usual, are at the end of this
bulletin.

~~~~~~ end ^o^ ~~~~~~ 1stpost 112001 ~~~~~~
IMP ^o^ ... "Information Made Present"

is a bulletin service of the SAYMA office to provide practical details
to our geographically-challenged Yearly Meeting via our free
list-server:  semi-official information, bulletins that you can print,
post, announce, publish, or pass around.  Please address questions,
corrections and additions to AdminAsst at sayma.org, or call
276-628-5852 (machine; in-person Tu/Th 5-7:30p).
Thank you!  ^o^