[saymaListserv] Reply from Congressman Bob Barr (R-GA) to Dept of Peace Bill

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 21 09:14:36 JEST 2001

Hi,

I subscribe to a service where I get to send e mail letters to my elected
officials on various issues.
Usually, e mails get an "automated" reply.

Bob Barr (or his office) actually answered my e mail about supporting the
establishment of a Department of Peace.
His response is remarkably clear and revealing.

Note his sentence " . . especially while we are engaged in armed conflict
with the world."

One doesn't often get this much truth in government!  I just wish it was a
different response.

Justpeace

Free Polazzo,
Anneewakee Creek Friends Worship Group
Douglasville, GA

"In times of change, learners inherit the world, while the learned remain
beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer
exists"  (Philosopher and author Eric Hoffer)

Donate free food with a simple click: http://www.thehungersite.com/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>From: <barr.ga at mail.house.gov>
>To: <freepolazzo at mindspring.com>
>Subject: Reply from Congressman Bob Barr
>Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:01:46 -0500
>
>Thank you for contacting me regarding the establishment of a "Department
>of Peace."
>
>On July 11, 2001, Congressman Dennis Kucinich introduced H.R. 2459, to
>establish a Department of Peace.  The legislation has been referred to the
>House Committees on Government Reform, International Relations, the
>Judiciary, and Education and the Workforce.  No further action has been
>taken at this time.
>
>I think this is a nonsensical proposal, especially while we are engaged in
>armed conflict with the world.  I support our President, our military, and
>our Department of Defense.  We do not need a "Department of Peace."
>
>Again, thank you for contacting me.  Your thoughts and comments are
>sincerely appreciated.
>
>With kind regards, I am,
>
>very truly yours,
>BOB BARR
>Member of Congress

PS:     The letter writing service I refer to (above) is manage by a Quaker
(Jim Harris) who lives in California.  A sample of
         topics written about are listed below.   Note that I get a letter
with an option to NOT send it or TO send for each topic.
         Progressive Secretary just does the "work" of writing and then
forwarding the email to "my" politicians.

U.S. Stop Aiding Colombia Human Rights Violators dated 8/08/01
Defeat Unfair "Rent-to-Own" Bill dated 7/26/01
Stop Navy's LFA Sonar dated 7/26/01
Free Five Cuban Political Prisoners! dated 7/22/01
Hold Ashcroft Responsible for Ethics Violation dated 7/15/01
EPA Deny Starlink Corn as Human Food dated 7/15/01
Bad prison health care costs taxpayers millions! dated 7/14/01
Senate Stop Kuhl Judicial Appointment dated 7/13/01
Fund EPA Endocrine Disruptor Studies dated 7/08/01
Congress Pass Bridges to Cuban People Act dated 7/06/01
Ban Employment Discrimination dated 7/05/01
Stop Oil Drilling in Pakistan Parks dated 7/05/01

Make Your Voice Heard. Enroll in http://www.ProgressiveSecretary.Org.