[saymaListserv] Re: Updates -- Lomborg's book

Janet Minshall jhminshall at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 4 11:14:39 JEST 2001

Hi Janice, Thanks for your response.  No, Lomborg is not a scientist
in the sense that you mean.  He is a PhD statistician.  The
researchers I found in a web search on responses in Europe show that
statisticians and economists who have checked his findings have thus
far found them to be pretty accurate.

There were also reponses from environmentalists and scientists who
have a vested interest in protecting their past pronouncements saying
that Lomborg doesn't understand science. But he does understand the
facts, figures and timelines that they -- the environmentalists and
scientists -- have published for the public and vouched for.  Those
facts, figures and timelines are what he challenges.

(Since I wrote the "Updates" message a very good review of Lomborg's
book by Ronald Bailey, Science Correspondent for Reason Magazine,
appeared in The Wall Street Journal, 10-2-01, another "respectable
publication".  It is available on the web
(www.reason.com/hod/rb100201.html) or I will send you a copy if you
wish.)

  Love, Janet