[saymaListserv] Quaker Statement in Response to Attacks on Afghanistan

Bert Skellie bertskellie at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 15 11:31:20 JEST 2001

Dear Friends,

In case you haven't seen this.  AFSC is also looking for blankets for
Afghanistan.  They can be sent to the High Point Office at 606 Springfield
Rd., High Point, NC 27263.

Peace,

Bert

For Immediate Release  Contact:  Janis D. Shields, (215) 241-7060
       October 11, 2001     John W. Haigis, (215) 241-7056

JOINT STATEMENT IN RESPONSE
TO MILITARY ATTACKS ON AFGHANISTAN

PHILADELPHIA, PA ?- We pray at this time for the people of the United
States, Afghanistan, and the rest of the world.  We hold in prayer those
killed and wounded in the terrorist attacks of September 11, those being
killed and wounded by the military strikes on Afghanistan that began on
October 7, and all who grieve for them.

We regret the decision by our nation's leaders to launch military strikes
against Afghanistan, and we call upon them to halt the bombing and other
military attacks.

We recognize the responsibility of the international community to apprehend
and try, under international law, those responsible for the recent terrorist
attacks.  We urge that such efforts be undertaken as a law enforcement
action-not as acts of war-and with great care to avoid the killing or
injuring of innocent people.

History teaches us that violence leads to more violence.  We expect that
these massive military strikes by missiles and bombers against this already
devastated, starving country will almost certainly make it easier for the
leaders of this terrorist struggle to recruit more people to their cause.
We must break the cycle of escalating violence.

The struggle against terrorism will indeed be long.  To succeed, it will
have to undermine the ability of those who would use terrorism to recruit
new people to carry out such attacks.  This requires ending, or greatly
diminishing, the tremendous anger and hatred toward the United States and
its allies felt, in particular, by many in the Muslim and Arab world.  This
can only be done with prolonged, nonviolent efforts for reconciliation,
justice, and long-term economic development.  It cannot be done through
massive bombing and military attacks.

-more-

Joint Statement- October 11, 2001, Pg 2

As executives of organizations of the Religious Society of Friends
(Quakers), we continue to be guided by our historic testimony concerning
God's call to renounce war and seek peace. We commit ourselves to work and
pray for the time of justice and peace promised by God when "peoples shall
beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; and
nations shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war
anymore."  (Isaiah 2:4)

Bruce Birchard, General Secretary
Friends General Conference of the Religious Society of Friends

Thomas H. Jeavons, General Secretary
Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends

Mary Ellen McNish, General Secretary
American Friends Service Committee

Joe Volk, Executive Secretary
Friends Committee on National Legislation

# # #

The American Friends Service Committee is a Quaker organization that
includes people of various faiths who are committed to social justice, peace
and humanitarian service. Its work is based on the belief in the worth of
every person and faith in the power of love to overcome violence and
injustice.