[saymaListserv] Re: A historical analysis of the current crisis

Free Polazzo freepolazzo at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 22 17:14:56 JEST 2001

At 03:36 PM 10/22/2001 -0400, Dan Schlitt wrote:

>I agree with Larry that theuse of "terrorist" in the present context is
>not useful.
>
>The term "terrorist" has become a rhetorical device used to call forth an
>emotional response and to obscure reality. It has lost any meaning that it
>once had. In the interest of plain speaking we need to use more specific
>terms. They may require more words to express our meaning but it will help
>us keep clear what we are talking about.'

>Dan Schlitt
>schlitt at world.std.com

How about this for some  "new definitions"?

Free Polazzo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(posted by John Gear, MI Greens, 10/17/01

CONFUSED?
Use this handy guide to tell the differences between terrorists and the
U.S. government: by Daniel Solnit, Dissident Voice, October 9, 2001

TERRORISTS:
Supposed leader is the spoiled son of a powerful politician, from
extremely wealthy oil family
US GOVERNMENT:
Supposed leader is the spoiled son of a powerful politician, from
extremely wealthy oil family

TERRORISTS:
Leader has declared a holy war ('Jihad') against his 'enemies'; believes
any nation not with him is against him; believes god is on his side, and
that any means are justified.
US GOVERNMENT:
Leader has declared a holy war ('Crusade') against his 'enemies'; believes
any nation not with him is against him; believes god is on his side, and
that any means are justified.

TERRORISTS:
Supported by extreme fundamentalist religious leaders who preach
hatred, intolerance, subjugation of women, and persecution of non-
believers
US GOVERNMENT:
Supported by extreme fundamentalist religious leaders who preach
hatred, intolerance, subjugation of women, and persecution of non-
believers

TERRORISTS:
Leadership was not elected by a majority of the people in a free and fair
democratic election
US GOVERNMENT:
Leadership was not elected by a majority of the people in a free and fair
democratic election

TERRORISTS:
Kills thousands of innocent civilians, some of them children, in cold
blooded bombings
US GOVERNMENT:
Kills (tens of) thousands of innocent civilians, some of them children,
in cold blooded bombings

TERRORISTS:
Operates through clandestine organization (al Qaeda) with agents in
many countries; uses bombing, assassination, other terrorist tactics
US GOVERNMENT:
Operates through clandestine organization (CIA) with agents in many
countries; uses bombing, assassination, other terrorist tactics

TERRORISTS:
Using war as pretext to clamp down on dissent and undermine civil
liberties
US GOVERNMENT:
Using war as pretext to clamp down on dissent and undermine civil
liberties

TERRORISTS:
Weapon of choice: a three-dollar box cutter
US GOVERNMENT:
Weapon of choice: a billion-dollar B1 bomber
Daniel Solnit is Executive Director for the Leadership Institute for
Ecology and the Economy, and a supremo with the Sonoma County
Green Party