[saymaListserv] Social Justice Issue of Edinburgh Review

Nancy M. Whitt nmwhitt at samford.edu
Thu Oct 25 10:26:55 JEST 2001

This is from a British woman, whose poem "Jeremiah's Wife"
was published in an issue of "Friendly Woman". N.

Dear poetic, artistic and spiritually-minded friends -

I have a long sequence of poems in the current edition of
the Edinburgh Review. Called Eve Etc., they're poems in the
voices of women of the Old Testament era: Eve, Lilith,
Noah's wife, Lot's wife, Sarah, Potiphar's wife,Miriam,
Joshua's mother, Delilah, Naomi, Bathsheba, the Queen of
Sheba, Jezebel, Jeremiah's wife, Hosea's wife, and Eve
again with a premonition of a prophet to come who might
look them all straight in the eye. The poems are
beautifully displayed and I feel proud of them - they came
one by one over a period of months, and I've written no
poems a tenth as good since.

I'd love to send a free copy to each of you but can't, so
the best I can do is tell you that The Edinburgh Review
costs 5.99 a copy, the theme of this issue is Theology and
Justice and it's a rich issue ranging from John Knox to
Richard Holloway, Jaques Derrida to Edwin Morgan.

love and peace, Alison.

Edinburgh Review's e-mail address is
Edinburgh.Review at ed.ac.uk
and the post mail is 22a Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh EH8 9LN, tel 0131 651
1415.
Alison.

--- End Forwarded Message ---

Nancy M. Whitt