[saymaListserv] SAYMA Peace and Social Concerns Committee

Jerry Rudolph gerald at clarity-dev.com
Fri Aug 9 04:52:53 JEST 2002

Dear Friends,

As many of you know, SAYMA decided at the yearly meeting to start a
Peace and Social Concerns standing committee. This committee is starting
and I have agreed to clerk and to initiate the organizing of the
committee. Tom Baugh from Chattanooga Monthly Meeting has agreed to
serve as Co-Clerk.

I am a member of the Columbia, SC Monthly Meeting and director of the
Carolina Peace Resource Center (CPRC) and have a strong interest in
nuclear weapons issues. Much of my attention in that role will be
focused on issues related to the Savannah River Site here in South
Carolina where the Bush Administration wants to build a new plutonium
pit production facility to replace the one they polluted so badly at
Rock Flats, CO. We also focus on Mid-East peace issues, Alternatives to
Violence Projects for youth (Help Increase the Peace), and other
peace-related issues.

I am also quite interested in abolition of the death penalty and other
social issues and serve on the Columbia MM Peace and Social Concerns
committee.

Tom Baugh is a member of the Chattanooga Meeting and has worked on
Military Families Support Network, nuclear weapons issues,
environmental justice, and serves on the Chattanooga MM Peace and Social
Concerns committee.

It is likely, though, the the SAYMA Peace and Social Concerns will take
directions of its own as people express interests and share leadings.

We will be setting up a list for the SAYMA Peace and Social Concerns,
but in the meantime, I would appreciate your letting me and Tom Baugh
know if you are interested in participating in this new standing
committee.  If you are interested, please send us some information about
your interests. The kind of information we would like to get is (1)
basic contact information, (2) your monthly meeting or worship group,
(3) the peace and social concerns areas where you would like to see the
committee focus, (4) the kind of things you would like to do as part of
the committee.

The fourth item above could include things like communication, visiting
monthly meetings to talk about the issues we address, writing articles
or collaborating with others in writing articles, developing workshops,
leading workshops, leading workshops or retreats for SAYMA youth,
organizing peace and social concerns activities among the youth,
coordinating committee work with other quaker bodies, providing support
for committee programs through music or art, or whatever ways you would
be interested in helping.

I would also appreciate your announcing this new committee to your
monthly meetings and worship groups and to your local Peace and Social
Concerns committees and letting people know how to get in touch with me
and/or Tom.

I will see that people who do not like to use email are not left out, so
please pass the word to those who prefer using regular mail and phones
and give them the contact information I have provided below.

Thanks,

Jerry

--
Gerald Rudolph