[saymaListserv] Conference in Western NC

Kim Carlyle kcarlyle at juno.com
Tue Aug 27 15:29:18 JEST 2002

Simpler Living as Spiritual Practice: A Path to Peace

A two day conference--September 13 & 14 for people of all faith
perspectives sponsored by Holy Ground retreat ministry in Asheville,
co-sponsored by the NC Climate Connection and Asheville Friends Meeting.

During this conference we will consider how simple living is spiritual
practice, and learn some practical tips for implementing simplicity in
our daily living within our home, hearts, and community. The rhythm of
the
conference will include sharing and learning through presentations and
stories, small group discussions and seven workshops. Susan & Kim Carlyle
will be keynote speakers.

The workshops are:
Simplifying in the Home (Dayna & Jim Guido)
Time as a Resource; Time as Sacred (Susan Carlyle)
Mindful Use of Energy (Kim Carlyle)
Different Perspectives on Money (Maggie Clancy)
Sabbath Keeping (Linda MacFarland)
Parenting in a Consumer Culture
Simplicity and Food

Human consumption and population are creating great strains on the Earth
and her inhabitants. We citizens of North America are using more than our
share of resources.  Please join us as we consider how to live more
justly and more simply in our world.

The conference will be held at First Baptist Church in downtown Asheville
off of I-240. Take the Charlotte Street exit off I-240. Park in the lot
off of Charlotte Street and follow Holy Ground registration signs to the
Dining Hall. Consider car pooling or riding the bus. First Baptist Church
is on the bus line.

Friday, Sept. 13: Arrive at 1:30 PM for registration. The conference
begins promptly at 2:00.  Dinner will be a simple vegetarian meal. We'll
end at 8:00 PM.
Saturday, Sept. 14: Arrive for coffee around 8:30 am. Workshop begins at
9:00.  The 121:00 lunch will be vegetarian, with organic,  locally grown
produce. The conference will conclude at 3:30

Cost:  $75 per person (some scholarships are available) Child care is
available at cost.

Call Holy Ground at 828-236-0222 or e-mail at Holygrnd at aol.com to
register by September 7.

Each conference attendee is asked to bring a mug & cloth napkin to the
conference.