[saymaListserv] Courageous Chattanooga columnist on war

CIsland at aol.com CIsland at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 10:57:19 JEST 2002

Dear SAYMA Friends,

Hooray for Dalton Roberts.  Looks like a kind of closet Friend to me.  He
contacted Chattanooga Meeting one time for information about our Meeting for
Worship but he still has not come.  I thought this excellently written essay
would resonate powerfully with Friends.  Bill Reynolds

Friday, February 15, 2002 12:00:00 AM
Real war is about ideology  By Dalton Roberts
Columnist Paul Rodriguez said, "Sometimes I think war is God's way of
teaching us geography." I think war is our way of showing God we haven't
learned geography.With high-tech means of transportation and communication,
the world is like a string of small communities along a winding rural road.
No one lives more than a few seconds from our telephones or more than a few
hours from our airports and missile sites. Neither do we live more than
moments from theirs.Some of us can remember when war was something that
happened "over yonder." A friend in Washington, D.C., studying ways to combat
terrorism says of all the horrifying information she picked up, she was most
stunned to learn there are hundreds of American terrorist groups. So before
we go after the Husseins "over yonder," we had better get much better
acquainted with the thousands of McVeighs right here.One thing that concerns
me is the president's John Wayne imitation. John Wayne played in unreal
movies we watched to divert our attention from the real world. The president
is playing in a real movie about the real world, and unless he accurately
sees the real world, we are all in a heap of trouble. John Wayne was
immensely popular because he carried us away from our workaday tensions. The
president is popular but political popularity can disappear like the morning
fog on the river. In a complex world of many cultures and ideologies, talking
and acting tough will not enable us to gather the friends and resources to
contain terrorism. The Afghan operation was such a snap that political
appetites for more "victories" have been whetted. Note the tough talk from
Congress which has traditionally been a brake on hasty actions. They are
ready to topple Hussein and threaten Iran and North Korea. We had Hussein in
the palm of our hand and the senior Bush let him go out of respect for a
United Nations advisory. If the younger Bush has inadequate respect for
international considerations, America could end up with even fewer friends.We
need to skillfully remove terrorist networks. But we also need to realize
that our ultimate success will be how well we live out our values. All wars
are the result of two opposing points of view trying to obliterate each
other. Points of view result in ways of being. If our point of view makes us
-- meaning our culture and values -- more attractive to the world, we will
prevail.Our real war is not against terrorism. It is against ignorant and
misguided ideologies that spawn terrorists, both at home and abroad. We must
see that ideologies are the real weapons. If America can demonstrate
democracy, freedom and the spiritual values underlying that democracy and
those freedoms, it will stand in stark contrast to ideologies based on hate
and severe repression. Our ideology is our ultimate weapon.