[saymaListserv] Men's, women's and FLGC centers at yearly meeting sessions

Larry Ingle lingle at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 28 09:32:19 JEST 2003

I have long wondered how these groups ("centers") got started.  Until
sometime late in the 20th century separate meetings, as far as I can
discover, were never authorized by Friends.  All meetings for worship were
always open to anyone, women, children, men, old, young, black, white,
educated, illiterate--in short, everyone.

(There were separate meetings for discipline for women and men by the late
1660s, but meetings for worship remained open to and for all.)

I have heard the reasons that proponents of these groups have given; they
are simply not convincing.  Why can't SAYMA take the lead in ending a
practice that is so contrary to our tradition?

(There's also a practical concern:  in the past couple of yearly meetings,
these separate gatherings have usurped meetings for worship for the entire
yearly meeting.  Now there's something that demands our planners's attention
and efforts.)

For what it's worth.

Larry Ingle
Chattanooga