[saymaListserv] Re: Monthly ECN Connections

Janet Minshall jhminshall at attbi.com
Tue Jun 24 13:45:22 JEST 2003

Dear Susan Carlyle, I really appreciate the work you and Kim do on
behalf of the environment both in SAYMA and in FCUN.  I agree with
much of what is written by/for FCUN.  In response to the epistle
submitted by Kim I too am concerned that the media do not provide
full and accurate information.  I am more concerned, however, that
Friends are picking up inaccurate information from other sources and
passing it on as established fact.

There are two quotes which very much need correction:
"...wealth increases for the already wealthy while conditions of life steadily
worsen for many impoverished people worldwide."

"Although the agreements are promoted in terms of creating jobs
and reducing poverty,there are now more unemployed and impoverished people."

The two statements quoted above from the June ECN Connections in the
epistle from FCUN are not factual. Yes, "wealth increases for the
already wealthy", but "conditions of life do not steadily worsen for
many impoverished people."  In fact, according to United Nations
data, conditions of life and average incomes have steadily risen all
over the world for many, many years.

Actually, the only places in the world where poverty is still
increasing are in remote areas of China and India. These are areas
where one aspect of globalization,moving jobs away from affluent
workers in the US to impoverished workers in the rest of the world,
has not yet reached. Everywhere that globalization has reached both
employment and incomes have increased, sometimes dramatically, for
the poor.

I know this is contrary to the information you have been given, but
it is true.  Those who oppose globalization and the actions of
multinational corporations most aggressively are the US labor unions
which do not want US jobs and union dues, on which they depend
financially, to fall. Powerful labor unions, unfortunately, are the
source of much of the misinformation repeated as fact among Friends.
Similarly, some NGOs (Non Governmental Organizations) which serve the
poor realize that their mandate is fast disappearing as the poor they
serve are brought out of poverty.

Please have someone in FCUN do the research from unbiased sources
such as the relevant committees of the United Nations and write about
it for Friends. It will show that what I am saying here is true.
Sincerely, Janet Minshall