[saymaListserv] Fwd: Re: Monthly ECN Connections

Janet Minshall jhminshall at attbi.com
Sat Jun 28 13:46:25 JEST 2003

Hi Kim, Thanks for your response.  I,too, thought this was more than
just a message from one Friend to another and so I included all SAYMA
Friends (as best the Kitenet list reflects all SAYMA Friends) in my
reply and reprinted the whole  epistle that I was responding to.  In
this message I have included the complete chain of messages so that
anyone who is interested and who did not see the earlier ones can
join fully in the discussion.

I really appreciate your being so straightforward in your message.
It highlights a concern I've had for awhile about middle class
Friends assuming that they think like, and can say speak for, people
living in LDCs (Less Developed Countries) to explain how they feel
about working in a business developed by Americans or Western
Europeans, and how that affects their culture and the rest of their
lives.  In fact, the epistle just transfers the frustrations,
problems and feelings of people working in the US to others who live
in very different cultures and have very different concerns and
values.

   I have done some work, partly supported by SAYMA funds, twice in
Africa -- once in 1986 and again later in 1988.  In both instances I
was hoping to start, with the help and guidance of East African
Friends, an economic development project which would express the
concerns of US Friends. This was not a leading "out of the blue" but
rather the dying wish for continuance of work begun by Marjorie Fox,
a Philadelphia Friend. Marjorie sojourned with Atlanta Friends while
in chemo-therapy for cancer at a local hospital. When it was clear
that she was not winning her cancer battle, she let it be known that
she fervently hoped the work she had done in East Africa would
continue after she died.

What I learned in East Africa was life-changing. It concerned
cultural differences and how they literally blind us to cultures
apart from our own. I think what I'm saying can be best expressed by
the following exchange of letters the initial one written by a SAYMA
Friend to Jack Powelson, an emeritus professor of Economics at the
University of Colorado.  I serve on the Editorial Board for his free
online newsletter "The Quaker Economist", and responded not knowing
if he had the time to respond himself:

Jack,
the problem is that the "unfettered" competition is causing illness
by pollution, global warming and is depleting sustainable resources.
At some point the cost of illness and environmental change has to be
figured in the buying and selling prices.  Also it is unfair to the
entire globe to make products in places where there is no effective
lobby to protect the environment - Regulation is probably the least
way - but someone need so to pay for the dollars in health care and
environmental degradation.

In addition, from health statistics, we know that small farmers are
healthier when then can sell their products.  Large factory farms
undercut them and cause them to move to cities.  American farmers are
subsidized by cheap fuel, wonderful roads, and generous benefits.
You are right, it would be better if there was less regulation, but
only when subsidies to favor rich countries were also eliminated.

My response was:

I don't know if Jack will answer your most recent message or not.
Since you and I have nearly had this conversation several times at
yearly meeting, I thought I'd give you my two cents worth.

You're trying to change the system to what YOU think it should be
whereas, if the decision were left to the people in developing
countries the answers would be different.  You have worked in India
and I in Africa.  We know, because we have seen it first hand, that
huge wooded areas have been denuded by local people who are desperate
for firewood to cook with and to burn for heat. The consciousness of
the people I've spoken with in Africa is completely concentrated on
immediate survival and they really do not give a hang about the
environment or the expansion of the desert into previously arable
land or the depletion of sustainable resources.

But while they spend much of their time searching for anything that
will burn, what they really want is the opportunity to work.  They
don't care if American workers make twice as much for the work that's
offered.  They realize to some extent that their country is without
infrastructure and so the companies that relocate there will have to
build and maintain roads, and a water supply and generators and a
more functional communications system in order to have what they need
to begin to produce.  The ordinary people just want the chance to
begin earning and saving so that after they have repaired their
houses and have bought clothes for their children, they can then work
toward things like electrical wiring and indoor plumbing for
themselves.  And the women, who now walk miles a day carrying water,
want to save together to install a hand or electrical pump nearby.

You can talk to them until you lose your voice and while they may say
they understand and agree with you you will not really have changed
their priorities until you change their economic situation. What
economists have learned from studying economic history is that people
need a higher standard of living and some economic security in order
to care about larger, less immediate issues.  Once they have more,
they begin to think about things like pollution, population control
and even global warming. It happens mostly by itself.  We don't
really have to convince them of anything.  What our multinational
corporations can do and are doing is to give them the opportunity to
work.

Unless you recognize the change of consciousness which follows
economic development, you'll never understand how to effectively
change economic realities.  You cannot start at the end point (the
environment and global warming).  You have to start closer to the
beginning (economic development and jobs).

There is an exceptionally good 18-page insert called A Survey of The
Global Environment in The Economist magazine of July 6th to 12th
which supports many of your concerns but enlarges the discussion to
include comments and related issues from economists.
				Best Regards,  Janet