[saymaListserv] FW: Kucinich deadline-June 30-please read

Kit Potter listener at bellsouth.net
Mon Jun 30 21:54:00 JEST 2003

Dear Friends,
To all of you who care about issues, but haven't been reading about the
primaries yet, please have a thought to help this campaign. Really read his
commitment to values here! The support of MoveOn could be amazing in the
difference it makes.
There is hope, if we all work together! This platform deserves to be heard
with a very loud voice from the people! Support Kucinich today!

Kit Potter
(FYI: Priscilla was an attender at Nashville Friends Meeting for a while.)

Dear Friends,

Here I am again, with a last minute message out to ask
you to look at Dennis Kucinich, and in case you are
interested in supporting him, knowing that if you
contribute to his campaign today, by the end of this
quarter (June 30), the media will report on it, and
numbers talk, and thus will help the cause, and all
the money will be matched.  So $50 = a $100
contribution.  You can donate online at kucinich.us,
or call with your visa to the Ohio headquarters at
866-413-3664, or mail a check and date it June 30 to:
11808 Larain Ave, Cleveland, OH  44111.  Any amount
will help and be used wisely to support a vision and
support a movement for progressive change.

I attended 2 campaign meetings this weekend that were
extremely inspiring and exciting. Lots of people are
coming to work on this campaign that have never ever
been involved in politics.  That's because this goes
beyond politics, I feel. Kucinich is a potential
leader for transforming our nation to become
benevolent, peaceful, strong and admired. Again, think
American Ghandi.  Following are some articles to show
how he is different from Dean, and the other
democrats.  I urge you to read up.

Thanks for taking the time.  I appreciate it.
Peace,
Priscilla

The following is from Danny Sheehan, former legal
counselor for Iran/Contra, Wounded Knee, Karen
Silkwood, the Pentagon Papers, and has spent 30 years
dedicated to uncovering government covert operations.
He was also director of the Christic  Institute.  And
he received a PhD from Harvard Divinity.  Brilliant
man.

WHO IS DENNIS KUCINICH?
Currently a 57 year old Congressman from Ohio's 10th
district, Dennis Kucinich was elected Mayor of
Cleveland in 1977 at the age of 31, making him the
youngest person ever to lead a major American city. As
Co-chair of the Progressive Caucus, the largest Caucus
in Congress, he has been the outspoken leader of
opposition to the war in Iraq and was largely
responsible for organizing the 126 Democratic
Representatives who voted against the Iraqi War
Resolution. He is a deeply spiritual man whose
integrity is widely recognized in Congress by
Democrats and Republicans alike.

HOW DOES KUCINICH DIFFER FROM THE OTHER DEMOCRATIC
CANDIDATES?
He is known for his integrity and skill as a
legislator.  He does not say one thing to one person
and another to someone else.  He is honest and
supports real solutions to tough problems.
Dennis Kucinich is the only Presidential candidate who
offers a platform of
principles, policies, and programs that will create
FUNDAMENTAL change in America. As President he has
promised to work to:

** REDUCE THE MILITARY BUDGET AND DEBT
** ESTABLISH A CABINET LEVEL DEPARTMENT OF PEACE TO
ENHANCE NATIONAL
   SECURITY ON ALL LEVELS - AT HOME AND ABROAD
** USE THE PEACE DIVIDEND TO PROVIDE GUARANTEED
UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE
    FOR ALL AMERICANS
** PROVIDE FREE EDUCATION THROUGH COLLEGE
** PROTECT WORKERS BY CANCELING NAFTA AND WITHDRAWING
FROM W.T.O. AS
   PART OF A PROGRAM THAT WILL HELP THE GLOBAL ECONOMY
** REPEAL THE PATRIOT ACT AND PROTECT OUR CIVIL
LIBERTIES
** REPLACE PETROLEUM AS THE BASIC FORM OF ENERGY BY
2012 WITHOUT MOVING
   TO NUCLEAR
**JOIN THE REST OF THE WORLD AND SIGN THE KYOTO
ACCORDS AND THE LAW OF
   THE SEAS

While Dean supports the country's third most polluting
nuclear power plant (in Vermont), has pledged to
sustain the current military budget, and tells
conservatives that he is not a peace candidate, -- and
Kerry not only actively supported the Invasion of
Iraq, but advocates the use of nuclear power and coal
to reach an only 20% reduction of petroleum by the
year 2020, Dennis Kucinich has won the goodwill of
labor unions, environmentalists, peace activists, and
other progressive constituencies across the board. The
major challenge of his candidacy is that THE
ESTABLISHMENT KEEPS SAYING THAT HE CAN'T WIN.

HOW WILL KUCINICH WIN?
102 million eligible voters in the United States did
not turn out to vote on election day in 2000.
According to polls more than half of these Americans
are liberal to progressive.  Kucinich's grassroots
campaign is building strong support by registering and
motivating these millions of otherwise uninspired
voters! These people will not register and vote unless
they are inspired by a new vision of America's future.
This support base will contribute to winning Dennis
Kucinich the Democratic Presidential Nomination in the
Primaries and, when combined with the main body of
Democratic voters in November 2004, will ensure
victory over George Bush.

******************
NOTE FROM CONGRESSMAN DENNIS J. KUCINICH

Dear Friends,
I know you can spell my name -- "www.kucinich.us" --
because our
presidential campaign has been surging in the last two
weeks with
people flocking to our website.

Today we shook the political world with our showing in
the MoveOn
Primary -- 2nd place, 24 percent and 76,000 votes!
Tens of thousands
of these voters are new recruits to our campaign.  I
want to thank all
of our volunteers, online and off.

You've proven the media pundits wrong.  They had hoped
we would
disappear.

But, along with our big vote in MoveOn, our campaign
has raised more
than $1 million this quarter (and federal matching
funds will double
that).  Almost all has come in small donations through
the Internet.
And there are still days left before the June 30
filing deadline.  So
don't stop now.  Donate at
https://www.kucinich.us/contribute.php

Why are all these good things happening?

Because people are learning that I can win.  That I
have a history of
defeating well-funded Republican incumbents by running
Wellstone-like
grassroots campaigns.

And  because I offer a fundamentally different vision
for the
Democratic
Party and the nation -- a populist vision that can
galvanize heartland
voters, inspire new voters and bring back 3rd-party
and independent
voters into a winning coalition for next November.

Other Democrats promise guns and butter.  They say we
can't cut a
Pentagon budget that rivals the military spending of
all other
Countries combined.  I offer common-sense cuts in a
bloated military to pay for enhanced domestic programs
of environmental cleanup, sustainable jobs programs,
fortified Social Security -- at no added expense to
middle class taxpayers.

Others propose slow, incremental changes to our
bureaucratic,
corporate-controlled healthcare system; I offer
streamlined national
health insurance for all.

Others defend a globalization regime that has driven
down labor and
environmental standards worldwide.  I will replace
NAFTA and the WTO
with bilateral, fair trade pacts that lift up
standards, and protect
the planet.  I was there in Seattle, marching
alongside environmental and union activists.

I led opposition in the House to the illegal,
fraudulent Iraq war, and
I am still demanding answers every day on Capitol
Hill.  I'm the only
candidate who voted against the so-called "Patriot
Act."

Our campaign is trying something totally new.  We're
running a movement
campaign -- guided by movements for peace, economic
justice, the
environment, labor, women's rights, civil liberties,
civil rights for
all.  And fueled by the Internet.  Just like the
February 15 anti-war
protests that shook the planet...and just like the
Seattle movement.

In recent days, we've picked up the endorsements of
many progressive
leaders, including environmentalist Randy Hayes,
Congresswoman Lynn
Woolsey, and ice cream entrepreneurs and activists Ben
Cohen and Jerry
Greenfield.  More endorsements will come next week.

We began in February.  No campaign has grown so much
in only four
months.  The media pundits who once called us "fringe"
and "marginal"
are now clearly perplexed.  Our showing in the MoveOn
Primary is a
wakeup call to those who tried to write us off.

The one thing we need more of is funding.  Our
campaign doesn't get the
support of the moneyed interests who offer bundled
donations and pay
for high-priced tables for 10.  And, frankly, we don't
want their support.

We do have the power of the grassroots and the small
donor and the
Internet.  So make a donation (by June 30 if possible)
https://www.kucinich.us/contribute.php.  And join our
grassroots
campaign for an America of peace and justice.

Sincerely,

Dennis Kucinich

**************************

This is a great comparison of Dean & Kucinich from the
Bob Harris website. He's an "investigative humorist":

www.bobharris.com/kucinichdean.html
<http://www.bobharris.com/kucinichdean.html>

The table he presents wouldn't cut and paste right on
this email, so please go to the above link.  Here are
the notes by the author of the table to intice you:

Kucinich v. Dean
Where broad agreement exists, I've omitted the issue
to save space.
I've also omitted issues where one candidate has no
stated position I could find,
even though this is a measure of a candidate's
relative concern for and familiarity with issues.

The main sources are the candidates' own websites,
plus a whole lot of searching via Google.
I can't promise every detail is correct; this is one
guy's best effort.
Full disclosure: I have several friends on the
Kucinich campaign, and I supported him when this
started.
A few months ago, I was even going to join up, but
since I'm in the media, decided it was better to be
independent.
I was also very interested in Dean for a while, around
February and March, until I decided to support
Kucinich.
Make of that whatever you will.
Finally, Dean is basically a good guy, and if he's
nominated I'll vote for him in a heartbeat.
It's just that it's simply not accurate to refer to
him as a progressive candidate.
As he told Salon: "I don't mind being characterized as
'liberal' -- I just don't happen to think it's true."
I'm also not saying that Kucinich's positions are the
"right" ones on every issue;
I just personally agree with him on most of them, and
I think other progressives will, too.