[saymaListserv] Politics and Economics

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Wed Nov 26 13:27:38 JEST 2003

Hi SAYMA Friend, I don't recognize your e-mail address so I cannot
call you by name, but thanks for the response.  Yes, Stan Becker is
the person in Baltimore YM who is a demographer/medical doctor at
Johns Hopkins University and has spoken at SAYMA yearly meeting about
population concerns. Indeed, Stan was a member of SAYMA and Atlanta
Meeting before he moved to Baltimore.  And yes, Stan has replied on
this topic twice.  He was on the "To" list of recipients of my e-mail
messages.

It is the expected effects of a dramatic population decline that I
have been exploring.  I had, in the '70s before I knew Stan, worked
on a grant from Johns Hopkins to encourage population control.
Knowing Stan from my meeting, he was the first person I spoke with
several years ago about this.  I had heard a panel discussion on
C-SPAN in which representatives of the military and the security
agencies were projecting widespread panic and violence which would
erupt as a steep population decline and related economic dislocation
occurred. The panel's answer to that projection was to recommend
increasing the size and scope of the military and the security
agencies (which has since happened under the Bush Administration).
When I told Stan about that panel discussion and their
recommendation, he said he had no idea where their population
projection came from. I began then to look for articles or other
sources that would explain what I'd heard. I found out that many
demographers were, indeed, projecting a sharp drop in population
after a brief period (fifty to 100 years) of upward momentum, meaning
population would rise more and more slowly until it came to a point
of equilibrium (as many births as deaths), and then begin to decline.
The short article by Scott Elder in National Geographic, the
Sept.2003 issue, was the first one I found in a popular, non-academic
journal that addressed both the problem and its likely consequences.
			 Best Regards, Janet Minshall

 From vmbra at aol.com

Janet's new e mail address is :  jhminshall at comcast.net