[saymaListserv] RE: "munging"

Mary Calhoun moriah at preferred.com
Wed Nov 26 15:39:37 JEST 2003

Dear Peggy,

"Munging," as far as I can tell, is a piece of internet jargon; like "netiquette" it probably won't be found in Webster's.  Have you tried an internet search?

The fifth paragraph of "Reply-To" Munging Considered Harmful" contains a pretty clear hint about the meaning of "munging" -- "changes to an email header."  Munging the reply-to line would therefore mean "changing the reply-to line."

As best I can make out from the example below (from your posting), the header of an e-mail contains the "to," and "from" information that we see on-screen, but also a lot more.  The reply-to line is apparently one of the ones we don't see; apparently it tells your computer what address your reply should go to if you click the reply button. The headers also seem to tell how an e-mail got to you, where it came from, when all this happened, and where to return it if it can't be delivered.  As I understand it, revealing an e-mail's itinerary and credentials is a way to show it's legitimate; deleted or edited headers send up a red flag to our list's spam-filters, a clue that the sender is trying to remain anonymous while sending unwanted messages.

^o^
\_/
Mary Calhoun
List-Administrator, sayma at kitenet.net