[saymaListserv] Politics and Economics

Janet Minshall jhminshall at comcast.net
Sun Nov 30 16:22:43 JEST 2003

This is a response to a SAYMA Friend.  His message is below mine)  J.

Dear Friend, Thanks so much for the longer and more detailed message.
I think you'll find that a declining population in the world
beginning 50 to 100 years from now is becoming the majority view of
demographers -- especially those in Europe who are experiencing the
beginning of it firsthand.  If the increase in immigration becomes
much greater while the birthrate is falling to a state of balance in
the US then consumption will fall, too, because refugees and
immigrants don't use as much of anything in their first years in the
US.  It is in the second generation of refugees and immigrants with
citizenship and active peer pressure when consumption becomes more
like that of the US-born population, and by then the decline in the
birth rate should be the stronger pressure here,too, reducing
consumption significantly.

If you go back to my original message, dated 11-22-03, I mentioned
AIDS and other communicable diseases as a force which would speed up
the decline in population. I also mentioned world war, which might
actually be several smaller wars if the Bush Administration has its
way, as having the same effect. I didn't include famine in my message
because it is a component of the death toll from both communicable
disease outbreaks and war. I didn't try to work through the effects
on particular countries (Bangladesh for example.) I did, however do
some work in East Africa on economic development projects and am well
aware of the cultural issues which have impeded the use of
contraceptives there.

Your comments about male dominated hierarchical countries are right
on target.  However, when women even in those countries, are given
the opportunity to use contraceptives, as they are now, smaller
families are the result. This produces a decline in the rate of
growth of population there.  There is also the factor of less
developed countries adopting some aspects of US and Western European
cultures which both improves the situation of the poor and also the
situation of women. This is occurring most dramatically where there
are multinational corporations hiring local women and discouraging
sexist discrimination in the workplace to keep the production lines
running smoothly. Women who work and have their own incomes tend to
have many fewer children. All of these issues you have raised
ultimately result in a declining world population, not an increasing
one. These are all aspects of why the rate of growth of populations
is dropping nearly everywhere. This is also the basis of the
projections of demographers, some of whom recognize that such a
decline in population is actually the first one on this scale in our
(US and Western European) history since the Black Death.  Such a
decline will bring serious disruptions of global economies and have
terrible effects on people throughout the world unless we start now
to recognize the danger and begin to plan for it. As I indicated
before, in times of crisis and fear, the greatest mortality rates are
among the poor, the elderly, the disabled and small children.

I have taken out your name, e-mail address and other personal
references and am post both your comments and my response with copies
to Stan Becker and the other SAYMA Friends I sent to before. I hope
you and yours have had a blessed Thanksgiving.

		 Best Regards,  Janet Minshall

(I believe the Bush Administration has cut the provision of abortion
services funded by the US but not the rate of contraceptive
distribution by US and European-funded providers around the world.
Maybe you or Stan can check that out.  And I agree completely with
your last sentence "Voluntary birth control is an essential component
of improved women's health and establishing a democratic society for
women as well as men"). J.

 From a SAYMA Friend today:

Janet's new e mail address is :  jhminshall at comcast.net